• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Distortion and clutter

Share/Bookmark

Distortion and clutter

I have begun to work with GPO and the sounds are great. You need to tweak things a little but the fact that you really can change the output of sound does that only interesting.

But when I worked with an easy piece only containing strings and woodwinds I get distortion and clutter at some points. I´m using Finale (don´t have any sequencerprogram), Mac Dual G4 1 Ghz and have invested in ram so I have 2 Gb. Thought that should do it, but not. The buffert is set to highest possible (512?).

I think the problem may be in the slowness of Finale 2004, but I don´t get that problem playing through a sound module (not that I can hear since 2004 playback is a catastroph with hangings and crashings etc.).

Am I right that GPO Studio only works with OSX and 2004?

If so that´s sad, can´t use 2004 for engravings and can´t use 2002 for playback through GPO. Bah!

Any ideas?

Björn

Re: Distortion and clutter

(don´t have any sequencerprogram),

Cubasis 4 is a sequencing program that is included with your GPO bundle. Maybe you\'ve missed it along the way during installation? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] It is a fairly decent sequencing program check it out. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

Styxx, Good idea, but Cubasis is PC only :-(

If lack of a sequencer is an issue, then I suggest having a look at Tracktion - a remarkably simple, fairly inexpensive, and reasonably competent little program. Works on Mac. Mackie took it over a few months back.

As for the distortion and clutter, it is possible that the gains structure is too high. Pull it back a few db and see what happens.

The other possibility is cpu overload. On Mac, if you\'ve got a Gig or more of RAM then the limitation becomes cpu overload, and not RAM. Does the distortion only happen when you have \'lots\' of instruments playing at once? Do you have a \'cpu load\' meter in there somewhere that you could check out?

Trond

Oops! Sorry. Tracktion? I\'ve read up on the program and it seems to be very user friendly. Yeah, I would try. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Thank you guys for answering!
    [ QUOTE ]

If lack of a sequencer is an issue,
    Properly not. My intention was to use Finale only.

As for the distortion and clutter, it is possible that the gains structure is too high. Pull it back a few db and see what happens.
    How do I do this?

The other possibility is cpu overload. Does the distortion only happen when you have \'lots\' of instruments playing at once?
    Yes, but there are not so many instruments here, strings and 6 woodwinds.

Do you have a \'cpu load\' meter in there somewhere that you could check out?
    Yes, it mostly swigs round 80% with some peaks at 90%

If it is so that you can´t make bigger orchestras directly from Finale I will be disappointed, buying a lots of ram and so on.

Björn

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
    Thank you guys for answering!
    [ QUOTE ]

If lack of a sequencer is an issue,
    Properly not. My intention was to use Finale only.

How do I do this?

The other possibility is cpu overload. Does the distortion only happen when you have \'lots\' of instruments playing at once?
    Yes, but there are not so many instruments here, strings and 6 woodwinds.

Do you have a \'cpu load\' meter in there somewhere that you could check out?
    Yes, it mostly swigs round 80% with some peaks at 90%

If it is so that you can´t make bigger orchestras directly from Finale I will be disappointed, buying a lots of ram and so on.

Björn

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

For the reduced gain, try reducing the volume setting of each instrument in the Kontakt player by 6 db. That should tell you if it\'s the problem.

Since the distortion happens when you have the most instruments playing at once, it could be either the gain, or perhaps your audio buffer needs to be increased. If you\'re at 512, trying raising it to 1024.

The cpu peaks at around 90 could be a problem. Try muting half the instruments, and see what you get. You might also try reducing the number of voices assigned to each instrument to the absolute minimum necessary.

That\'s it for ideas from me :-)

Good luck,
    Trond

Slandrom, I use GPO with Finale 2003a and everything works just fine. Make sure you are using GPO Studio (I know, stupid comment, but though I\'d get it out there anyway). I know it sucks, but you could try the other non-ASIO settings. It means giving up real-time playback, but at least it\'s something.

As far as Finale crashing and hanging on you, I would truly suggest you read parts of the manual and learn how to MIDI program in Finale. It is possible to get a nice playback using the program, but it does take a bit of work.

I got distortion and clutter in Cubase SX 2.2 and I found out it was because the audio output volume from GPO was to high for every channel (too \"hot\"). So, if possible with Finale and/or GPO lower the volumes of the different channels of GPO being used and maybe that should help.
    It won\'t hurt to try, huh?

[/ QUOTE ]

For the reduced gain, try reducing the volume setting of each instrument in the Kontakt player by 6 db. That should tell you if it\'s the problem.

Since the distortion happens when you have the most instruments playing at once, it could be either the gain, or perhaps your audio buffer needs to be increased. If you\'re at 512, trying raising it to 1024.

The cpu peaks at around 90 could be a problem. Try muting half the instruments, and see what you get. You might also try reducing the number of voices assigned to each instrument to the absolute minimum necessary.

That\'s it for ideas from me :-)

Good luck,
    Trond

[/ QUOTE ]

I will try reducing the gain settings.

The audio buffer can´t be set higher than 512

I tried changing the Ambience Reverb and the Cpu usage shown on the kontakt player was reduced by 50% but my computer still showed the same high cpu usage.

Björn

[ QUOTE ]
    Slandrom, I use GPO with Finale 2003a and everything works just fine. Make sure you are using GPO Studio (I know, stupid comment, but though I\'d get it out there anyway). I know it sucks, but you could try the other non-ASIO settings. It means giving up real-time playback, but at least it\'s something.

As far as Finale crashing and hanging on you, I would truly suggest you read parts of the manual and learn how to MIDI program in Finale. It is possible to get a nice playback using the program, but it does take a bit of work.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just to clarify, I have been working with Finale for 14 years and are teaching others in classes, so the MIDI programming is no problem. The problem with hanging and so on is strictly a playback problem in 2004.

Off course I´m using GPO Studio.

ASIO is a PC-thing

Björn

Go Back to forum