• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Remember that cue I posted the other day?

Share/Bookmark

Remember that cue I posted the other day?

Well I took -- can\'t remember who\'s [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] -- advice and did a B section today. Would like to know what you guys (who listened to it before [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] ) think of it. Thought you may be interested for me to post it...... (if you couldn\'t care less, no biggie [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] )

Uh... but yeah, I\'m filing this one under the \"I can do better next time and this one is done\" category... ;-)

CLICK HERE.....

KID-

Re: Remember that cue I posted the other day?

Hello Kid.... Man, that sounds GREAT! I really love the percussion accents that start around 24 and again at 43. Also like the way it kinda blends from the heavy accent part into the more \"suspenseful\" section around 1:24. Very nice composition! Keep up the good work [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Gary

Thanks Gary!

Someone (a rock guitar dude) made the comment to me that \"the synth makes it sound... not pro\". Anyone else feel that way? Hard to gage these types of statements when it\'s not coming form a director. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

I\'m just curious, not that I\'m gonna change it... it\'s \"done and over with (old news)\". I originally did it about year ago as a \"sketch\". Just trying to understand so I can be the best I can...

thnx

KID-

Oh and thanx to anyone who listens....

I know it\'s hard to get people to listen to stuff here unless you are a \" forum star\" (do I need to name names? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]), from \"Europe\" writing concert pieces, ripping off John Williams, mocking up \"classics\", or doing a general \"demo\" of a lib... [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Right? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

So thanx!

Love...

KID-

Hey Kid, what the hell do those directors know anyway [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img].....I like the synth in the tune. You know, just because all of us \"electronic orchestrators\" are really into the \"realism\" of using sampled instruments.... does not mean that we\'ve gotta stop using synths, right. I like the \"blending\" of synths and sampled instruments together... and this demo is a great example of how well the two work together. Good job, Kid! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] Gary

I think it\'s a great cue, and I like the synths in it also. Especially the low synth that sounds like a bass trombone until the filter and resonance open up into an electronic splatter. I\'d be interested in knowing the library combinations you used in this.

Hi Kid,
    strange...just finished seeing J.Carpenter\'s \"Vampires\" on TV,
    and think your piece should have been perfect for that [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img].
    I like your stuff.

Luca

Hi Kid,

Sorry for taking different side, but I have to tell that the guitar guy was right in some sense. Not the piece sounds unprofessional, but the synths sounds undone. I myself came from synth community and spending some time on different orchestral forums I mentioned a one big difference between orchestral and synth (electronic) music concept. In first case, it’s a story that comes out on the first plan. In second case it’s a picture. And the best examples combining both. I like what Danny Elfman doing combining orchestral and electronic stuff. Hans Zimmer is master too. But to demonstrate what people can do with synths, I recommend ‘Shpongle’ project from UK (‘Are you shpongled’ album is all time best).
    In your case you using synth like another orchestral instrument, but to take advantages of synths you should spend more time on processing (rev, delay, pan movement, phase manipulation) to develop the picture. Remember, orchestra is perfect instrument with millennium story (that’s why you don’t need mush to do with processing). And synths is the other story. Good luck.

Thanks guys... [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I used VSL, SISS, Art Vista Piano, G-Town, Absynth, Distorted Reality, Bizarre Guitar, FM7, and some Bass samples, can\'t recall the library I used for that, maybe Trilogy.

MaxHead-

Well, turns out that the guitar guys was referring to the \"horns\"... So I guess your on your own so far. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] But I don\'t agree with your assessment. Here\'s why....

I personally don\'t like Danny\'s music or Hans\'s music. Sure they are both great, but it\'s not a style I like. I think there\'s more than just a couple ways to incorporate electronic \'elements\' into film stuff. I\'m not really trying to do \"electronica/strings\" with this piece... I don\'t think you \"ALWAYS\" have to use electronic instruments they way \"dance heads\" would use them. A lot of that stuff sounds the same to me, too many opening and closing filters and such. I feel that sometimes it\'s too much. And for this particular cue having all kinds of manipulation was not what I was after.

And btw-- The electronic elements in that piece do use Delay, Verb, and slight Panning. Three out of the four things you mentioned me needing to do. What I really think you meant is \"Oscillation and Filters\". But like I said, that\'s not what I was after. In fact I think it\'s overdone (over the top) sometimes.

I do find it odd that you believe that you \"must\" manipulate electronic elements simply for the sake of doing so. I totally disagree. For me it depends 100% on the piece.

But you happened to mention 2 of my least favorite composers. My top three (that I don\'t like) are.

1 John Williams
    2 Danny Elfman
    3 Hans Zimmer

In that order..... I know they are good, I just don\'t like what they create. More power to them.

Got any cues of your own you \'d like me to hear, feel free to post them in this thread. Not cause I\'m trying to challenge you, just cause I\'d like to hear your sound. I\'ll look for some tunes from the disc you mentioned. Got any links to MP3\'s off that record?

PS. don\'t assume that all my stuff sounds like this one cue, it\'s just one cue. But no, none of it sounds like those three composers. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

KID-

I liked the synth. Maybe it sounded a bit thin, but I think it added some contrast, which is good.

Good job Kid. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Go Back to forum