• Register
  • Help

Topic: Two Baby Steps

Two Baby Steps

My brother\'s film group in Atlanta (Cougars!) participated in The 48 Hour Film Project this weekend. Essentially, they have to produce a short film (concept to script to tape) in the span of 48 hours after being told the genre and random elements they have to incorporate.

And hey: I\'m their far-away soundtack composer! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

What they eventually came up with was a comedic piece about a cursed hockey glove and the guy that\'s doomed to wear it. I included two over-the-top orchestral pieces (featuring my first baby-steps in GPO) to milk the melodrama:

And if you\'re interested, here\'s the backing track for the \"picking fights montage\" (a non-GPO piece):

There were other little bits and cues in there too. Guess I\'ll have to see how it turns out: they have to finish it all and get the tape to the judging station by 7pm tonight!

It was fun for me, at least: enjoy!
    - m

Re: Two Baby Steps

Hey... this is fun...

I like the Forbode piece a lot.

How did it all end up ? Did they finish the film in 48 hours ?
    Can we see the results somewhere online ?

Great Job !

Orcas Island

Baby steps? Hardly.You are a very talented person. First you write these incredible MFX plugins that allow musicians to do so much more with their music. Then this nice surprise of your music.

For a far-away soundtrack composer you did an amazing job. You made quite a musical statement in the span of 37 seconds with Forboding. The build-up left me wanting more. Nice acoustic treatment - what reverb did you use? It would be helpful to know the instrumentation used.

The 48 Hour Film Project is quite a competition. It\'s hard to write just music in just two days for a short film - let alone an entire film from scratch (although Jonny Lost and some others here can do it). A short film about a cursed hockey glove sounds interesting....

Could the far-away soundtrack composer give permission to post these on the GPO site? Let us know how it turns out. Hope you made the deadline and got the tape to the judging station in time.

More! More!

Gary Garritan

PS: Happy happy happy was fun!

Thanks, guys. A little boost to the ego always helps! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

They did indeed get the tape in by deadline, which is a relief after last year: their Mac crapped out on final rendering and caused them to miss it! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] No worries though this year. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

They\'ll be screening it for the competition on Thursday, and I\'m still Far-Away (tm) such that I won\'t be able to see it. In fact, I\'ve *never* seen it: I worked entirely from the emailed script and phonecalls to my brother (Mr. Producer/Writer). As such, I have to write pieces such that they can cut film to the music, or such that they can be faded in and out easily. They assure me that they fit my music in, though. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] It\'s much easier all around when he can send me a thumbnail file of the film on CD and I can sync it up in SONAR.

Dunno if we\'ll get an online version. They did make a DVD of last year\'s entry, so I\'m looking forward to that!

Gary, feel free to use them as (very short) demos. And it\'s cool that you liked \"Happy\", too: that was a hoot to write. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

An interesting thing about the GPO tracks here is that I used my MFX plugs to do the brassy stuff, so it\'s essentially live. Essentially, I have my input split into 5 channels and layered in unison, using french horns and trombones along with their various overlays. Then I\'ll map my Mod Wheel to send out a different CC#1 curve for *each* of the instruments (including inversed: loud->soft) such that I get smooth cross-fading between the basic Ens sound and the overlays at the top of the wheel. I\'m very impressed by the power that is made possible through this technique. (Though disappointed with the low-volume, low-pitch trombone samples: I think they\'re a bit bright in that register and would prefer them to be more mellow!)

These plugs need some more development, but you\'ll see them soon enough! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Thanks again,
    - m

Go Back to forum