• Register
  • Help

Topic: Let's talk Programming "Percussion". How do you...

Share/Bookmark

Let\'s talk Programming \"Percussion\". How do you...

Interested in how all of you approach programming the different percussion instruments in your compositions. Do you use a \"step\" approach or a \"real\" time approach to programming? How do you \"build\" your rolls, rudiments, turn around, fills and other aspects of percussion into your scores?
    What, as a composer, would you like to see different in a library of percussion instruments (other than a good percussionist)? How does equalization effect and how do you approach quantizing (if any) percussion. What is the most important aspect of percussion instruments you look for in a sample?
    And lastly, how many of you prefer and do, have the parts played in \"live\" by a percussionist or yourself?
    Many of you are wondering why I am so curious. Well, that\'s too bad! No wait! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] Joking again!
    Well, still to this day, as a concussionist, I am never happy with the limitedness of synth and sampled percussion. I use it when I have to if limited in time for a production. As a rule, I record my own \"live\" performance and mix it in with a sequence. The only time I am limited is obviously where I do not have a particular percussion instrument such as timpani or vibes. Even then, I use a Roland percussion pad to play the part in via midi. So what you say? Yeah, me too. But it\'s the way I like best and get the best results.
    So, how do you approach percussion in your compositions? How about notation for percussion? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

Re: Let\'s talk Programming \"Percussion\". How do you...

As with all my music, I draw the notes in, in the Keyeditor (Pianoroll).
    Besides from being faster (in my case), I like my percussion and music as tight as it can be.

Ron

Rolls here always in realtime played. If necessary quantisized/and or slower recorded.

I\'m guessing you\'re mostly talking orchestral percussion here, in which case I perform it live through a MIDI controller, and invariably go in and edit/quantize as there are bound to be a few notes somewhat out of time. I might let some slight timing variances go with other instruments as it can give a more natural feel to the performance, but percussion (especially something like a snare part) really needs to be locked in pretty well (without sounding robotic).

For other kinds of music that involves drum sets, I\'ve typically programmed the drum parts through MIDI events, using drum samples (Sonic Implants drum soundfonts) for the sounds. But as much as I try to get the nuances and variations of velocity and timing to be realistic, and try to think like a drummer, I realized listening back to my last few projects that it still falls a bit short of sounding like a real drummer, at least in certain spots. So I picked up some drum loop sets, and the first person who heard the first song I did with some drum loops said right off the bat how good the drums sounded. As much as I might try to think and program drum parts like a real drummer, drum loops are definitely a real drummer, and that\'s the difference. So for upcoming projects, I\'ll be using more drum loops, but I\'ll still be programming drum parts for some things where the loops don\'t cut it (and sometimes they just don\'t, depending on the variety of what loops you have). Actually, I\'m looking forward to the Big Band GPO set for the drum set samples, which I\'m sure will be excellent. I may go back to programming more parts to trigger the GPO BB samples for drums.

I would always prefer to have a real drummer recorded for my work, but that\'s just not feasible with my home recording capabilities and not often feasible with my financial abilities as far as recording them in a studio. For one of my albums that I\'ve been working on for a few years now, I did record a real drummer in a top-notch studio in Buffalo and then had the tracks converted to WAVs so I could continue the rest of the work at home.

Re: Let\'s talk Programming \"Percussion\". How do yo

And, just for the dissenting opinion, I always notate my orchestral percussion (using Finale).

If I had any talent I\'d probably try recording it via MIDI, but annotating it certainly gives me a lot of abilities I would never have. \"Human\" playback and other tricks can get rid of the \"programmed\" sound to whatever degree is possible.

Re: Let\'s talk Programming \"Percussion\". How do yo

[ QUOTE ]
    I\'m guessing you\'re mostly talking orchestral percussion here

[/ QUOTE ]
    For the most part. I was wondering if any of you have ever tried a \"Pops\" type of piece and attempted to use the GPO percussion combined as a orchestral trap kit? All the pieces are there pretty much I would say. You don\'t say? I do say! Who did say? What did he say?[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
    Shaz, I am planning on Orchestrating as much of the Beatles music as possible using GPO and GOS strictly. This is were the percussion would come into play. Should make for interesting programming eh? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Go Back to forum