• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Echo Indigo, Anyone?

Share/Bookmark

Echo Indigo, Anyone?

The semester\'s over, the finals are graded, and I have some free time until summer school starts...

It\'s time to think about beefing up the ol\' system in anticipation of increased use of existing GPO resources AND initial use of all the new GPO stuff in the pipeline.

Current system is: Compaq EVO N610C portable, used as a desktop replacement: P-4, 2.4 gHz, 1 gig RAM, 40 gig internal HD, 40 gig USB2 HD, built-in sound card. My use of GPO is exclusively through notation and then sequencers. No keyboard skills here.

I\'ve heard talk of the Echo Indigo being a good sound card match for GPO and portable computers & have looked at a couple of threads.

I have questions...

As more time has passed, are you still enthusiastic about it?
    Have you discovered any conflicts or other quirks?
    What are the advantages?
    What are the disadvantages?
    Any setup do\'s or dont\'s?

Anything I ought to beef up BEFORE getting the Echo Indigo?

AND FINALLY...

Anyone got one they want to part with?
    If so, why?

Re: Echo Indigo, Anyone?

I have the Indigo on a Dell laptop that\'s just a little behind yours on the performance curve (2.0 gHz, 768mb memory) and the machine performs really well. About the only thing I came across is that the headphone jack may not be a good impedance match for certain types of external audio gear (i.e. mixers, amps, etc), so if you want to route the Indigo output through monitors you might have to stick an impedance matcher in the chain. I do, however, have one of the earliest models of the Indigo (no ins, one out), so the later models that have both input and output may handle this better. Your laptop can also generate a lot of electromagnetic interference (ends up as static or buzzing in your monitors), so the farther you keep it away from the amp or mixer, the better. Sometimes changing the orientation (rotating it x degrees relative to the amp) will help in this regard, although it makes for a quirky setup.

BTW - Looks like the Indigo I/O (the one that has a stereo input and output) might be a good fit for you, since you can also record live audio to go with MIDI sequences. The website says something about RCA and 1/4\" adapter cables, so this one might connect up better to external equipment than mine. I\'d send the folks at Echo Audio an email just to make sure, though.

Thanks, Easy Rhino, for the info...

All I need to do is find one cheap. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Prof. Jim,

I use the Indigo on my Dell laptop on a daily basis and am quite happy with it.

As more time has passed, are you still enthusiastic about it?

Yes, very much so.

Have you discovered any conflicts or other quirks?

No

What are the advantages?

Works well. Sounds good. Lets me work in my hammock.

What are the disadvantages?

None for me.

Any setup do\'s or dont\'s?

Install the latest drivers from the Echo Audio site.

For the price ($99) this little card can\'t be beat. It also works with GigaStudio.Hope this helps.

Gary Garritan

[ QUOTE ]
    What are the advantages?

Works well. Sounds good. Lets me work in my hammock.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, Gary...the hammock thing clinches it for me.
    That\'s where I am right now as I respond to you!!

School\'s out for the summer...or at least for a week and a half in my case!!

Off to eBay or the local MIDI shop, unless some obliging listmember has one they want to part with on favorable terms [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Thanx...Jim

I\'m still wondering if I\'ll see a performance increase with a lower latency card. The onboard sound leaves a lot to be desired with my laptop, but I\'m more concerned about the performance of the PC. It\'s a 2.8 P4 w/o hyperthreading, but I can\'t get nearly as much out of it as I thought I could (my song that works splendidy on my desktop chews up this laptop and spits it out.) Of course, maybe bumping up the ram would help too. I don\'t know. The Indigo looks cool, but I wonder if it would steal more resources being PCMIA.

Joseph,

I am getting very good performance with my Dell laptop - 64+ instruments without a hiccup. If you have 1 GB of RAM you should be fine. The Indigo doesn\'t seem to take any more resources. First try raising your buffers and see if that helps.

Gary Garritan

Well, I have a bid out on one on eBay...let\'s see if I get it...
    Of course, if a listmember has one available...

Jim \"my hammock loves 802.11b; now if it would only quit raining\" Williams

Jim,

If the ebay bid doesn\'t work, contact me and I could perhaps get one for you.

Gary Garritan

Go Back to forum