• Register
  • Help

Topic: The "definitive" Orchestral Percussion Library?

Share/Bookmark

The \"definitive\" Orchestral Percussion Library?

Hi,

I\'m wondering if I could get some opinions for an orchestral percussion library? I went to a games seminar this past weekend and was impressed by the percussive backgrounds that a lot of composers were using. All I have right now is the SAM Timpani and a few roll cymbals... Obviously, I need to strengthen this category [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] . Any suggestions?

Thanks,
    Jon

Re: The \"definitive\" Orchestral Percussion Library?

Did you go to the Film Music Network Forum in LA? How was it? I was going to go but we had guests from out of town.

I digress...

Right now I\'m pretty partial to the QLSO percussion, it\'s pretty powerful and big.

I think you can actually buy the percussion section separately also (VSL offers this as well).

I\'d recommend either London Orchestral Percussion (which is more versatile) or EWQLSO percussion (sounds awesome right out of the box). You also can\'t go wrong with VSL percussion, but it sounds close and dry and needs a lot of processing IMO.

Don\'t forget to download all the G-town instruments!!

I sencond G-Town , ans also the Sam free...
    ...the links http://www.gtownsounds.com http://www.projectsam.com/freesounds_85891.html
    They´re free but with a pro quality , I love them!!!

I have LOP and now usually always go for the more extensive VSL percussion (as mentioned, with some mixing time you can easily can get it \'big\') it is perfectly suited for more typcial orchestral sound, IMHO. I personnally love it. When I need some more \'attitude\', I use Tob\'s patches. They sit in ANY mix quite well. Hope this helps. I often mix VSL with Tob\'s creations.

Rob

Well thanks everyone. I\'m researching these titles right now. I\'ll let you know what I decide.

Midiphase... no, I went to the LAMP event \"Scoring Big with Music for Video Games\" over the weekend.

http://www.lamusicproductions.com/

Good overview of the industry... Tommy Tallarico was there as well as some notible composers and publishing reps. All for $50! Hard to beat that!

Jon

Re: The \"definitive\" Orchestral Percussion Library

[ QUOTE ]
    Hi,

I\'m wondering if I could get some opinions for an orchestral percussion library? I went to a games seminar this

All the above are great suggestions IMHO. For going on the cheap, try to find the old Roland orchestral percussion library (fairly extensive and easy on the polly). You can never have too many percussion libs...

Go Back to forum