• Register
  • Help

Topic: Reversed Stereo Field when Using Piano Library

Share/Bookmark

Reversed Stereo Field when Using Piano Library

I\'ve got a dedicated computer running GigaStudio and the output of this computer is sent to my Aardvark Q10 via a SPDIF connection.

When my Bosendorfer piano library is loaded in Giga Studio I\'ve noticed that the stereo field is reversed, that is, the lower end of the piano is stronger in the right channel and the higher end is stronger in the left channel.

I can see this quite plainly when looking at the channel meters coming into the Aardvark so I know it\'s happening before it gets to the Aardvark.

Any ideas? Is it possible using a shitty RCA cable to handle the SPDIF signal could be causing this? Any Giga Studio wizards out there?

Thanks.

Re: Reversed Stereo Field when Using Piano Library

Stage perspective rather than player perspective? (I also prefer player perspective.)

Yes, this is the case. I\'ve gone over my setup multiple times and am convinced that it\'s in the samples (same thing in GS and Kompakt). Also I just got the Galaxy Steinway and it is what you might expect (bass on left, treble on right). So, first thing I do after recording a stereo track is swap channels in CoolEdit - a bit of a pain but it\'s automatic for me know.

Freya

Ahhsooo.....

It never occurred to me that this could simply be an issue of perspective.

Thanks for the advice!

Will any old RCA connector do, as long as I use a coaxial 75 cable as you\'ve suggested?

Any old RCA connector will do, but you can get decent gold plated ones from Radio Shack for just a couple bucks over the tin ones. Unless you\'re short on food money, get the nicer connectors. They make more reliable, quieter connections.

[ QUOTE ]
    Amusing to see the word \"decent\" in the same sentence with Radio Shack. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

So true!

Note that I didn\'t write \"awesome\", \"amazing\", \"breathtaking\" or anything like that.

But really, Radio Shack carries some pretty nice, er, decent, connection hardware these days. It\'s not at the top of the audiophile range, but the hardware is substantial, it\'s well machined, and has a reasonable amount of gold plating.

Of course, the best feature of the Radio Shack connectors is that you can get them within a few minutes during normal business hours. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

I\'ve just built a new desk and reorganized my studio, so I\'ve been shopping for a number of cables. The prices have convinced me that building your own is the way to go.

Thanks for the help.

Is this with the Post Grandioso Bosendorfer 290 library? I\'ve noticed the stereo image seems to be stage perspective rather than player perspective in this particular library, so it may not be your cables.

Yes, that\'s the library I\'m talking about. It\'s good to hear it\'s not my set-up, thanks.

Go Back to forum