• Register
  • Help

Topic: Unifying NI players

Share/Bookmark

Unifying NI players

Folks,

This may not be quite the right forum for this question but here it goes... I currently have GPO, the PMI Bosie Plug and the Galaxy Steinway. I would like to use a common sampler for all as it\'s a real pain to individually maintain the prepackaged samplers that come with each. Will Kontakt 1.5.2 do this for me? Will I be able to use all those libraries (and hopefully subsequent libraries with included players) with with the full-featured Kontakt?

On a side note presumably PMI, East-West, BestService, etc. have to pay some sort of license fee to Native Instruments which (in all likelihood) gets passed on to the user in some form or other. If all of these libraries are usable in the full Kontakt it seems like the user is getting hit multiple times for the underlying license. This doesn\'t seem quite right but I can understand how it could be a nightmare for NI and the sample creators to keep the licensing straight.

Freya

Re: Unifying NI players

[ QUOTE ]
    Will Kontakt 1.5.2 do this for me?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes! I play all my stuff through Kontakt 1.5.2 (although with GPO, you\'re probably better off using the players because of the pedal legato thing, otherwise you have to set all instances of Kontakt to the different pedal response thingy).

[ QUOTE ]
    On a side note presumably PMI, East-West, BestService, etc. have to pay some sort of license fee to Native Instruments which (in all likelihood) gets passed on to the user in some form or other. If all of these libraries are usable in the full Kontakt it seems like the user is getting hit multiple times for the underlying license. This doesn\'t seem quite right but I can understand how it could be a nightmare for NI and the sample creators to keep the licensing straight

[/ QUOTE ]

The real reason for the players has more to do with the copy protection of the libraries than giving you a \"free\" player, although they figure that is a plus.

But I have 10 of the dang things which I HAVE to install to unlock the libraries, but never use, because I load it all up in Kontakt anyway.

Edit: I should point out that there are some advantages to having the players in addition to Kontakt. I have Kontakt\'s Buffer settings set for max polyphony and such, so that I can cram as many instruments as possible into it when composing. When rendering though, I have the players buffer settings to max out performace. So that\'s a plus.

Brian [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
    On a side note presumably PMI, East-West, BestService, etc. have to pay some sort of license fee to Native Instruments which (in all likelihood) gets passed on to the user in some form or other.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi Freya,

While we do pay a licensing fee, this is not passed on to the customer, we absorb this cost ourselves. These products would be the same price with or without the player as you can see with other formats of our products.

Having a copy-protected universal format that plays back the sounds as they were programmed is worth it to us (please don\'t turn this into another copy-protection thread because it\'s all been discussed before).

Take care,

Doug Rogers
    --------------
    EASTWEST
    www.soundsonline.com

I\'m fine with copy protection - everyone deserves to have their hard work protected. And, I guess it\'s a toss-up whether it\'s better or worse to have a single entity (e.g. NI) control the registration for multiple vendors. I haven\'t had a disk die on me yet so I don\'t have direct experience with re-registration. Not a big concern really...

The situation that I am concerned about arose out of the following experience: I was updating the DFD for my PMI Bosie and the next time I ran my Galaxy Steinway, I found that it had been updated as well even though I had not finished testing it with the current DFD load. In this case (apparently) no harm was was done but I could imagine, without some sort of coordination between sample creators, that player-specific updates could start steping on each other. I work in the software engineering field and have seen this happen too often.

Fortunately, we have an excellent, highly responsive, community on this BBS that is quick to respond and assist as needed.

Freya [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
    The situation that I am concerned about arose out of the following experience: I was updating the DFD for my PMI Bosie and the next time I ran my Galaxy Steinway, I found that it had been updated as well even though I had not finished testing it with the current DFD load.

[/ QUOTE ]

Each library has to be updated individually and works with a specific DFD version. If you had downloaded both the Bosendorfer and Steinway updates, then both would share the 1.29 DFD extension.

- Doug

Go Back to forum