• Register
  • Help

Topic: ftp...Help?

Share/Bookmark

ftp...Help?

Who can explain in easiest terms how an ftp works? Bare in mind (if you haven\'t already surmised) I\'m a slow learner and tend to get confused easily. This is all new to me using PC, downloading and uploading music mp3 and other files. All I would like to do is the same as every other person seems to do so easily. Upload files and post a link so I can share my work as well. I don\'t want to bother anyone further to post my music. There is much I would like to share for what it\'s worth. So, please be understanding toward a slow but sure learner who needs help. I\'m starting to become more discouraged. Furthermore, is this what is really needed or is it some other elaborate program?
    Thanks and yes this is a plea.
    Thanks. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

Anyone know what they are telling me here?
    [ QUOTE ]
    find out the name of the ftp server and the directory that you have permission to upload to.

[/ QUOTE ] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Re: ftp...Help?

Styxx,

First you need an FTP site, a website or server to load to.

Then, you need an FTP program, there are some good free ones, like WS_FTP LE which you can download from www.download.com

Last, you need to log-in using WS_FTP and then load the files from your HDD to your sever/site which is as easy and drag-and-drop.

If you need help with this you can give me a quick call at Gary\'s today, or on my number that you already have after Wednesday.

I downloaded ftpexplorer and ran the install. It is a 30 day trial that my IT tech a school emailed the site to me today. I thought I would try it and get used to it first. Log in? Let me see. I don\'t understand. Stinking accident! I want to come off like I know what I am doing but I can\'t. So damn hard some days.
    Could you please send me G\'s number. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] PM?

Hi Styxx,

This is not so difficult [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]. Basically you can have two modes of operation: http and ftp.

http is the working environment that drives the world wide web. When you open a direction in your browser, you are actually downloading a text file that tells your browser what to show. These are the so called HTML pages. In the same way you can download any file you want. No need for login, password or other things, for any user who wants to get your files.

To hang up your webpage on the internet, you need only one thing: the so called web server. This is a computer, which is connected 24 hours a day, and which can be accessed from the internet with a known name, a dns name like www.northernsounds.com. It is unlikely that you have one of these at home, so what people do most often, is to hire an accout to a thirdparty vendor. With this, you are given a disk quota (10 MB, 20 MB, 100 MB, whatever), a login and a passwd. You will also be provided with methods for uploading your pages on the server. Typically you type your login and passwd in a members area of the server\'s webpage, and then you have access to a bundle of options to manage the files you have saved in your accont.

The simplest way to share a file having this kind of server, is to upload the mp3 files, and prepare one main page, called index.html This special page is the page users will get when accessing to your accout via web, for example by typing www.mywebserver.com/Styxx, and will contain the links to the shared files.

Still confused? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

Anton

Hi Styxx, a couple of simple things to add;

FTP stands for File Transfer Protocol.

If you send a file you are uploading it

If you receive a file you are downloading

You can also use your browser for FTP, its kind of basic but does the job.

For example, if Northern Sounds had FTP set up for all of us to send and recieve files, we would type; <font color=\"blue\">ftp.northernsounds.com</font> into the browser, supply a username and password, and then upload or download a file.

Chances are you already have FTP access with your internet account, look on your ISP\'s website. In theory, you could upload a few songs to your personal webspace. It isnt likely to be much though.

If you do want a program that does FTP specifically, do a search on Leech FTP, it is freeware and one of the better FTP programs on the market.

Yo Styxx,

in regards to your FTP, http, AT&amp;T, take T &amp; C, etc. problems, I’m currently going through similar problems now while designing and setting up a website. But in the meantime, what I’ve done is to shell out I think $35 or so for a year on some space on My Docs Online.You don’t need any software but your browser, and any more knowledge than you have. You can upload to this site with ease. Their software takes care of everything. It is very secure, and a snap to share your music with the world, including our waiting ears. If you’re interested, pm me and I can give you details.

Another free FTP client, best in my opinion, is Filezilla
    http://filezilla.sourceforge.net/

I understand that a internet service provider like AOL has ftp or otherwise I wouldn\'t be able to download shareware. My BIG problem is having an understanding as to how I use ftp. Not making myself clear am I. Point and click. That\'s me. Set up takes more time to understand than most. You should see me studying a score! I could spend hours on one section where as most of you get it in a few minutes. I think when they where handing out the brains I thought the said \"trains\" and I missed mine.
    OK, enough! One thing is for sure I am going to learn this thus post my work and make you all wish I hadn\'t! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
    Thanks for replying....

Well, I just found out that I need a website in order to accomplish what I was hoping to do. Since I do not personally, and the site for the studio will not be ready till after June. I guess this was all for not. At least I understand that much of it! LOL!
    My sincere apologies to everyone for taking up your valuable time. I did appreciate it and learn a bit here about ftp. (At first I thought you had to be a florist and then I realized that’s FTD).
    Thanks.

[ QUOTE ]
    My sincere apologies to everyone for taking up your valuable time. I did appreciate it and learn a bit here about ftp. (At first I thought you had to be a florist and then I realized that’s FTD).
    Thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Styxx,

Don\'t feel bad for asking. This is one of those questions I also was wondering about but was \"afraid to ask\". Possibly many others have learned something as well.

Looper

oh, it\'s quite easy.
    to get into a ftp and interchange files (upload or download), you need 2 things:
    1-the address of the ftp server (ftp://ftp.whateveritis.com , for instance)
    2-the user name and password to use it (though there are anonymous ftp\'s which don\'t need user&amp;password)

You can use internet explorer to upload&amp;download files from a ftp server, just enter the address in the address bar and the user/password if needed.
    However, internet explorer is not very good at it, that\'s why ppl use other programs to get into ftps, those are the ones ppl has been linking for you to use, using those programs is as easy as using explorer: you enter the address in the adress box, and the user and password in the user and password boxes in case they are needed

hope this helps

Go Back to forum