• Register
  • Help

Topic: For Adam Burford

For Adam Burford

I was in the chat with Garry and others when he learned about Adam Burford\'s passing away. Seeing how deep he was hurt by the news and unable to find the right words I try something:
    Adam was passionate about the music of the turn of the last century and made big efforts to bring this music to the people. Maybe we can support this and do some mockups with GPO.
    I start with The Night Winds by Chas.T.Griffes (1884-1920) from \"Three Tone-Pictures for Piano\" (1915).
    Given the circumstances I used GPO Harp - wich I like better on this piece then Piano anyhow.

Re: For Adam Burford

That sounds really fine. I have no idea whether it\'s actually playable on harp, but I love it.

What a great place this is....

It\'s heartwarming to see all the things people on this forum do to remember a fellow forumfriend.

To be honest, I never listened to Turn of the Century music before Adam\'s passing. After the terrible news,
    I wandered to his website to listen to some of his music. Quite uplifting... most tunes put a smile on my face.
    So even after he died, he introduced someone new to this great music.

I like The Nightwinds btw [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Orcas Island

It was very kind of you do this. Adam will be sorely missed here.

Memorializing the music that Adam so dearly loved is a fitting tribute to him.

Please email me The Night Winds by Chas.T.Griffes and I will put it on my site (the link didn\'t work although it did earlier).

Thanks for doing this.

Gary Garritan

Perhaps one of the things we could do as a community in memory of Adam, would be for all of us who have a website to place a link to his site since his family said that they were going to keep it up. I’m planning to do this with mine, which I’ll be putting together this summer. Of course I’ve been planning to finish my site for the past 3 years. Maybe this will give me a little kick in that direction.

Karl, that\'s a good idea, I will put a link on mine this weekend...

I get over 1,000 unique hits a month, so hopefully we can revitalize the music Adam enjoyed so much...

Since nobody else seems to contribute any turn of last century compositions for Adam here a second one:

Requiem Opus 48 by french composer Gabriel Fauré, 1845-1924, last movement (In Paradisum)

Since GPO doesnt have voices (jet?), I had to be flexible in the arrangement. SinceI never heard this piece, I dont know how far I\'m off - for me it\'s ok.
    This is what Fauré said about his Requiem:
    \"It has been said that my Requiem does not express the fear of death and someone has called it a lullaby of death. But it is thus that I see death: as a happy deliverance, an aspiration towards happiness above, rather than as a painful experience. The music of Gounod has been criticized for its overinclination towards human tenderness. But his nature predisposed him to feel this way: religious emotion took this form inside him. Is it not necessary to accept the artist\'s nature? As to my Requiem, perhaps I have also instinctively sought to escape from what is thought right and proper, after all the years of accompanying burial services on the organ! I know it all by heart. I wanted to write something different.\"
    If you want to know more, go to:

Go Back to forum