• Register
  • Help

Topic: sound quality concerns

sound quality concerns

Despite trying to research this thoroughly I still don\'t know anything about mixerboards. I\'m in the market to buy some stuff, particularly I\'m getting four computers with Delta 44 cards as well as a mixer. The analogue outputs of these four computers will be inputed into an analogue mixer which will output to the analogue inputs on a Delta1010 in my DAW. My concern is with audio quality. Will going this route reduce audio quality or negatively color the sound? I assume it depends on the mixer being used. What are some recommendations for 24 and 32 channel analogue mixers?

Re: sound quality concerns

You may want to look into soundcards with digital I/O\'s. Multiple D/A to A/D conversion is certain to affect the sound quality, especially if you use moderate quality converters and analog mixer.

If you are on PC\'s only, look into FXTeleport. It will send digital I/O through a standard LAN.

Well I can\'t use FX-Teleport until the Gigawrapper is released. But I suppose I could go that route and that would save me a hell of a lot of money on soundcards and multiple software copies. It\'s just a matter of waiting for its release and whether or not it works like it should. Since Gigastudio 3: Orchestra has unlimited polyphony, wouldn\'t that mean I\'d get the same results in terms of polyphony (4 top quality computers x 4 = around 2400 notes of polyphony)

On the other hand, I really want a mixer in my setup. How does one use a mixer in an all digital setup without sound degradation?

It would be a total waste and unnecessary to put a mixer between your other computers and the Delta 1010. You would gain nothing, and perhaps lose a lot. The 1010 has plenty of inputs, so just plug the 4 computers directly into the Delta inputs. I have a Mackie 1402 VLZ Pro mixer in my setup, but it\'s only used for output, and input of keyboard sounds. The rest of the outputs go directly into the Delta 1010.

If you are going to record live instruments, you may have a need for a console, but otherwise, you are wasting your money. I don\'t even use my mixer for recording most live instruments. I have stand alone preamps for that, and they output directly into the Delta 1010.

The shortest path is always the best path.

-- Martin

Thank you for the advice. So if I go the route of connecting all the Delta cards to themselves I shouldn\'t have any sound degradation at all?

Actually now that I think of it, I\'ve been hearing nothing but glowing reviews of the RME HDSP9652 and HDSP9632. I could put HDSP9632\'s in my Gigastudio machines and an HDSP9652 in my DAW. Skip the mixer like you said and there should be zero loss of signal, right?

On the other hand, how would I monitor such a setup? I\'m looking to purchase a pair of Mackie HR824\'s.

Go Back to forum