• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: GPO Reviewed in June's Music Tech Mag

Share/Bookmark

GPO Reviewed in June\'s Music Tech Mag

I don\'t know about you guys, but I like reading reviews of products I own already! This month\'s Music Tech Mag (www.musictechmag.co.uk) carries a review of GPO (p103-4). I won\'t try to repeat the whole review here but the reviewer liked:
    + having full set of orchestral sounds
    + wide range of formats and options supported
    + many extras including scoring package
    + affordable
    he didn\'t like:
    - constantly adjusting mod wheel very fiddly
    - wet-version sounds waste RAM and disk space [oh no not that debate again!]
    - no phrases, hits or runs
    - only PC sequencer supplied

Re: GPO Reviewed in June\'s Music Tech Mag

Sounds to me that guy doesn\'t really know what he\'s talking about.... [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]

Always wondered why I never read this rag. Now I know why. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

If you like, you can read my review of GPO on http://www.traxmusic.org in the review section.

Devon

Thanks Devon for the link. I\'ll post a separate thread about your review.

Gary Garritan

Ah, I don\'t know... Perhaps it should be read in the context? I\'m sure it\'s still a very positive review (how could it not be???).

[ QUOTE ]
    Always wondered why I never read this rag. Now I know why. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I actually like Music Tech for the most part. In fact, I usually prefer the UK music mags to their American counterparts. The only bad part is having to wait a month for the latest issue.

I\'ll reserve judgement on the Garriton review until I can read it myself although it sounds like, on the surface of it, the reviewer may have missed the point on a few items.

I\'d never bought the mag before, but did so because it reviewed GPO. The review looks like it has come from someone who has not spent much time with the library or explored its use and support in the same way that Devon\'s article at TraxMusic does. I think Devon\'s article more accurately reflects the experience us users have (it was actually a good piece Devon not just because it was positive, but because it covered all the angles), whereas the Music Tech Mag review looks more like a \'first impressions\'. After all, quite a few posts from newbies here talk about the \'wet samples wasting disk space\' and \'fiddly mod controllers\'.

The rest of the Music Tech magazine though is quite enlightening, informative, accurate so I wouldn\'t write it off - but don\'t necessarily buy it for its reviews.

I forgot the last thing the Music Tech Magazine didn\'t like in GPO:
    - no guitar or choir samples!

Could you perhaps scan and post the whole article?

[ QUOTE ]
    Sounds to me that guy doesn\'t really know what he\'s talking about.... [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Wouldn\'t be the first time!! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

Most reviewers don\'t spend much time with a product to get to know it and most don\'t know a rat\'s a** about orchestral mock-ups! (or even orchestral music).

Go Back to forum