• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Sketch#3 (Whooops.... that went wrong...)

Share/Bookmark

Sketch#3 (Whooops.... that went wrong...)

Yep.... it\'s me... again.... [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

Sorry to keep flooding the forum with stuff I\'m trying, but GPO is so amazing, I can\'t seem to stop making music.

This is something I did today, far from finished, but it\'s bedtime and I wanted to let you people listen to this... is it worth to spend more time on this (making it longer etc.)

Anyone who has any comments on the harmony etc.... please do so...

It\'s a classical kinda tune, a bit Barok i guess...

Sketch#3

Thanks for any feedback you can give me..

Ron

Re: Sketch#3 (Work in progress)

I\'m back [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Added a few extra measures, I guess I\'ll leave it at that... it\'s no more than the name implies.... a sketch.

Not really me kind of music anyway....

Nontheless I look forward to any comment you can give...

Regards,

Ron

Re: Sketch#3 (trying some classical kinda music)

Ron,

For me this is a difficult one. It started off with a kind of Russian feel then at 00:15 there\'s a transition phrase with almost a British country dance feel then straight into bulk of the piece which was strangely discordant.

The result is that I found it a rather unsettling piece to listen too.....I don\'t know why! It\'s quite clever in a way, with the counterpoint, but I\'m not sure about this one...

For me though your still around 6-1 up! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Cheers

Frank

Don\'t feel shy about posting Ron - this was definitely worth listening too. The only problem I had with it - too short!

Reminds me of Danny Elfman. Maybe a lost track from \"The Nightmare Before Christmas\".

Neat piece. I only listened once but it sounds like you delt well with the counterpoint. I liked the Russian folk feel and, like Hardy, was a bit unsure about it going away for a time. HOWEVER, if you extend both ideas then the difference won\'t matter. As my most recent comp teacher said \"anything worth doing is worth doing at least twice.\"

One thing, and this is just something picky and personal, do away with the borrowed chord at the end - leave it minor. The Picardy Third is too Germanic for something so Russian sounding.

-Chad

Some words of wisdom from Jerry Goldsmith. He said: \"never repeat anything. But if you MUST, then turn it upside down or inside out. Add something or take it away, but never say the same thing twice exactly\". I\'ve always found that to be good advice.

Your piece is good. The different phrases may seem quirky together to some, but that is a popular method of scoring these days ala Elfman and T. Newman, etc.

Ron

No apology needed and don\'t stop. Your compositopn is excellent and welcomed here.

I enjoyed your Sketch. My main criticism is its brevity. I would be very interested in knowing the GPO instruments you used.

Gary Garritan

I like it very much, sounds very interesting, just dunno where to put this, but it\'s cool.. for sure.

Malte

[ QUOTE ]
    Some words of wisdom from Jerry Goldsmith. He said: \"never repeat anything. But if you MUST, then turn it upside down or inside out. Add something or take it away, but never say the same thing twice exactly\". I\'ve always found that to be good advice.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nexus,

You (and Goldsmith) are right - I wasn\'t clear. My teacher meant repeating the kernel of an idea in order to make the work cohesive. The Goldsmith advice is right on concerning how to repeat.

Go Back to forum