• Register
  • Help

Topic: Bad SATA? Pops and Clicks

Bad SATA? Pops and Clicks

Hi there,

I\'ve got some serious problems with Sample-Streaming
    I get audio pops and clicks when i use my SATA-HD with
    -> Steinberg The Grand
    -> Stormdrum (Kompakt - DirectfromDisk on)

When i copy The Grand to my slower U-ATA Boot-Drive
    and use it - i get no clicks! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

Maxtor 6Y160MO DIAMONDMAX PLUS 9 160GB SATA 3.5\" 9.4ms 7200rpm 8MB
    Samsung SV1204H 120GB U-ATA/100 8.9ms 5400rpm 2MB

SisoftSandra says access time of Samsung is 12,9ms - Maxtor is 9ms

Maxtor should be faster than Samsung, right [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
    What could be my problem?
    BOTH DMA is enabled
    BOTH Cluster size 4KB
    Used Partiton on Samsung is 8GB (5GB free)
    Used Partition on Maxtor is 116GB (32GB free)

BOTH are defragmented
    Mainboard: ASUS A7N8x-E Deluxe 2x512MB cache

P.S. I tried latest nforce2 Mainboard Drivers from nvidia... nothing has changed

Re: Bad SATA? Pops and Clicks

I have explained a similar situation to someon recently that has had problems with the same Motherboard as what you have. There are some things you need to be aware of with that Motherboard, when running it with SATA drives.

Here is a link that might provide helpful:

http://www.northernsounds.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=UBB2&Number=160527 &Forum=c5&Words=&Searchpage=0&Limi t=25&Main=158205&Search=true&where=bod ysub&Name=4506&daterange=1&newerval=&a mp;newertype=w&olderval=1&oldertype=w& bodyprev=#Post160527

Good Luck!

Hi dalamein,

hm... i thought it would be wise to buy an ASUS mainboard.
    Maybe - in this case - it wasn\'t really. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]

I should sell my SATA-drive or buy another mainboard...

Thanks for your quick and useful help!
    Enjoy your day...

Here\'s what\'s going on, the NVIDIA chipset on your MB is routing the SATA through the PCI bus...this is introducing latency and causing the pops and clicks. I struggled with this for about a month on my NVIDIA board. I tried different brands of SATA drives and even tried some of the tweaks recommended by using Powerstrip to adjust the timings on the PCI bus...nothing worked.

I ended up buying another IDE drive and now have one IDE for system files, and two for samples...one as a 2nd master and the other as a slave on the primary IDE channel...Everything works perfect now.

This is completely a NVIDIA chipset flaw...the only MB\'s that are ok are P4 boards with the ICH5 chipset, also a newer VIA chipset is coming out, hopefully soon, the KT880 which is keeping the SATA off the PCI bus and it will support Athlon processors. I think there may be some VIA KT600 MB\'s out now that may do this but they are a little bit less performance oriented vs. the NVIDIA or newer KT880 boards.

I know this isn\'t the best news for your SATA investment but hopefully it helps.

Hi Edward,

i bought a new IDE drive and i use my SATA-drive for non-audio now.
    My next computers are Pentium-based or MACs

Go Back to forum