• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Hows Triton LE as a controller keyboard?

Share/Bookmark

Hows Triton LE as a controller keyboard?

Im looking for a good controller keyboard with any sounds (I dont care about the sounds since I use a lot of racks, but there should be some so I can play for fun). Can I go with Triton LE or should I opt for something else in the same price range?

Re: Hows Triton LE as a controller keyboard?

I use a Triton Classic as my main controller, and I have had my share of frustrations using it this capacity. It plays nicely with Sonar 3.1 and various DXis (Kontakt 1.5, GPO, etc) but I find that my rack gear, which is mostly Roland, freaks out without some careful tweaking. The main issues occur when using the Triton (not the PC) for sequencing: in SEQ mode, the Triton likes to send out program, bank and control changes every time you move to a locate point. This works well with the internal Triton sounds, but my Roland stuff (XV-5080, MBD-1, XP-50) and even my Korg Wavestation responds unpredictably...whole MIDI channels are unexpectedly muted with no visible way to reverse the process, velocity layers disappear, etc. I have found that the only reliable workaround is to set the Roland units to ignore any nonessential MIDI signals, but even then I get the occasional glitch.

Also, the Triton velocity and aftertouch curves are such that with the Roland gear aftertouch tends toward hypersensitive and velocity tends toward \"beat the living crap out of the keyboard to get a velocity of 127\". This has also been something of an annoyance with Kontakt. The Triton allows you to switch between several preset curves, but I couldn\'t find one of them that I was particularly comfortable with.

One last complaint: the Triton does not have dedicated buttons for octave transposing on the front panel, which is a serious source of irritation if you do not have the 88-key model (I don\'t). It\'s possible to assign the two assignable buttons to transpose up and down octaves, but then you lose any cool controller stuff that may be normally assigned to those buttons. I hear the Triton Extreme has finally rectified this, but I think the LE suffers from the same stupid omission.

That said, it\'s a very solid synth and I\'m glad I own it. If I was just shopping for a controller to work with a bunch of rack gear and a computer, though, I\'d look at a REAL controller, as I haven\'t been all that impressed with my Triton\'s functionality in that area.

Im also concerned about the no dedicated mod wheel.

Any other controller in the same price range you could suggest? I need it to have a few preset sounds so I can play it without having to switch on my comp and racks when inspiration strikes in the middle of the night.

I might as well pound the mantra that will no doubt be pounded anyway; Just buy a basic controller and spend the rest on software.

I used a Triton Pro with Cubase, and experienced a lot of the problems Ian articulated. The most annoying thing is not having 88 keys. A lot of the key-switching features in Giga are routed to the outside keys. I don\'t want to have to go into the Triton and change octaves just for a key-switch. Nor do I want to go into Giga and change the key designations. Whatever you do, it will be easier with a full 88 keys.

Edit: a lot of people here like the Roland A-90 I believe.

I want the controller to have a few sounds in them because -

- When I feel like playing anytime I dont want to have to setup softsynths or switch on my comp or my racks.

- There is often latency with most softsynths, and sometimes even the tiniest latency affects my playing. So I play using the sounds in the keyboard and then switch the recorded midi to play the vsti.

So is there a good controller that can double as a cheap playing instrument?

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Good and cheap usually don\'t mix too well in controller keyboard world. If the controller needs build in sounds then the Yamaha ES is a very good option. You can choose between 64, 76 or 88 keys. It has two quality wheels, ribbon controller, 4 MIDI-assignable faders and 6 vintage styled buttons to control your sequencer\'s transport functions.

---------------
    Alex Cremers

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Good and cheap usually don\'t mix too well in controller keyboard world. If the controller needs build in sounds then the Yamaha ES is a very good option. You can choose between 64, 76 or 88 keys. It has two quality wheels, ribbon controller, 4 MIDI-assignable faders and 6 vintage styled buttons to control your sequencer\'s transport functions.

---------------
    Alex Cremers

[/ QUOTE ]

Is Yamaha ES the same as a Motif? If yes, then I see the price is above $1500 for the cheapest version.

Im looking for something in the $1000 range that is a good midi controller even if the sounds are not good (as long as they exist).

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

---------------
    Alex Cremers

[/ QUOTE ]

Is Yamaha ES the same as a Motif? If yes, then I see the price is above $1500 for the cheapest version.

Im looking for something in the $1000 range that is a good midi controller even if the sounds are not good (as long as they exist).

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, Motif ES. I\'m not sure about the controller features on the older and thus cheaper Motifs. The layout might be the same. It\'s worth checking out.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I have no experience with it, but the only 88 key controller I know of with a decent set of sounds in that price range is the Alesis QS8. It has weighted keys, pitch and modulation wheels, and four programmable sliders.

Thanks for the suggestion. This looks good. The smaller version Alesis QS6.2 61-Key also looks good.

However, Im not specifically looking for a \'decent set of sounds\' or hammer acton, or 88 keys. Bad sounds will do as well, long as there are sounds. Any other suggestions for a good midi controller (with more control options i.e. knobs etc) with sounds?

Go Back to forum