• Register
  • Help

Topic: Giga studio and P4

Share/Bookmark

Giga studio and P4

I`m having a PC built especially for Giga studio 160, and the company making it for me are unsure that it will work with a pentium 4.
    Does anubody else use this , and have you had any problems ?
    thanks

Paul

Re: Giga studio and P4

The Giga studio 160 in P4-1.8~2Ghz+ is good solution for standalone Digital-Audio-workstation. I have two P4 systems (giga + Cakewalk/Sonar + Creamware-SC), they all are in same PC and work powerfully under Win-98SE (not tried XP/2000 yet). Only problem is that the CPU metter-reading on Giga\'s GUI is screwed up (more than 200% at 160 voice polyphony) but the sound quality is still being fine.
    Hope this helps,
    Long

[This message has been edited by LHong (edited 12-21-2001).]

My understanding is that GigaS* needs a fast hard drive and a compatible ausio card, and that\'s it. I\'ve never read about CPU optimization with Giga. So Athlon, P3, P4, or whatever should be fine.

Some of the analog synth modules (Native Instrument\'s Reactor) are optimized for certain processors (Intel), since they are CPU intensive. GigaS* is hard disk intensive, rather than CPU intensive.

One reason to consider the Athlon over the P4 is that you get more bang for the buck, but other than that, the P4 should be fine.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JonFairhurst:

Some of the analog synth modules (Native Instrument\'s Reactor) are optimized for certain processors (Intel), since they are CPU intensive. GigaS* is hard disk intensive, rather than CPU intensive.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

These optimisation are \'SSE\' which is now supported in the Athlon XP processors. For now Athlon is the best processor for musicians.

-david abraham

Hi David,

Thanks for the info. The day after I purchased my Athlon XP 1600+ system, I read about Reactor\'s Intel/SSE optimazation, and had (slight) misgivings about my AMD decision. Now I have one less thing to worry about.

BTW, I have been using AMD processors for my home/family machines (almost) exclusively since 1995, and to my knowledge I\'ve never suffered compatibility problems. AMD has been winning the price war for years. It\'s great that they now have the performance title as well. Intel still wins the marketing award though...

Go Back to forum