• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: How to record game footage?

How to record game footage?

Does anyone have a good way to load up a game and capture the video & audio to a movie file? I tried Fraps, but with some games, it REALLY slows the game down and so the resulting video is also slow/choppy. Plus, Fraps doesn\'t like my Audiophile 2496 card and won\'t record the audio (gotta have the SFX!)

Re: How to record game footage?

What you need is a Canopus [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] They\'re only 10 grand or so.

I don\'t know of any cheap way to capture video.

Hmm...well, composers are doing it somehow..and not for $10,000 [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Must find out how.

Hi Sam,
    I know that some of engines that I\'ve worked with have an avi capture command in the developer console, which is not usually revealed to the public. If you know someone at the company that makes the games your trying to capture, I\'m sure that you could get them to capture something for you, or possibly divulge the code for you to do it on your own.
    That\'s how I do it.
    Good Luck.

Well you could reduce the load by sending the signal out of one computer and into another and capture it on a seperate computer.

All you need is:

1 - A cheap capture card
    2 - A VCR
    3 - A video card with TV output
    4 - VirtualDub

Record any image you need on a VCR using your TV out from your video card, then capture the VCR image with you capture card using VirtualDub to compress the video.

That´s it.

Good Luck

You could try this: GameCam (an alternative to FRAPS)

The problem is you need to register the program to enable sound recording. So I suppose this doesnt help at all, and Ill shuddup now.

Santa Cruz California

Believe it or else, I had pretty good results using my VidcAm Mini DV capturing some Battlefield 1942 footage, and then put Music to it... If you have a Flat Panel You don't see the re-fresh rate either.

How about asking the dev team ? Maybe they have the right hard/software.

If not, I'd try GameCam first and if it failse to be useful try using a Video Cam to record it analouge.

Sorry for necroposting
    But perhaps, this info will be useful for someone who's looking for game video capture tool.
    There is another good software for such tasks - PlayClaw. Can be found on http://www.playclaw.com

Go Back to forum