• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Frontier Designs cards

Share/Bookmark

Frontier Designs cards

Is anybody here successfully using either a Frontier Designs WaveCenter or Dakota card under W2k or XP? With this great deal on NI stuff, I\'m thinking about adding a dedicated PC (running Kontakt) to supplement my EXS24/Mac setup, and have both these cards sitting abandoned and available from back in the days when they definitely didn\'t work under W2k. But I know they\'ve released many new drivers in the interim and wonder if anybody is using them with their sampler rigs. Any help appreciated.

Re: Frontier Designs cards

I\'ve been using my WaveCenter PCI card for nearly four years. It\'s been in three different PCs and works without a hitch.

There were some quirky versions of some of the wdm drivers when they were first introduced, but they\'ve been very stable for quite awhile.

I have a FD WaveCenter PCI card in my XP Giga Box. Works great... never had an issue.

I have Frontier cards in two machines, and they\'re perfect. Low latency, uneventfully reliable. I clock them using S/PDIF, which works just as well as word clock.

The RME cards aren\'t necessarily higher quality, they just have more features: more I/O and on-board mixing. Lynx are supposed to sound fabulous.

But if all you need is eight ADAT outs, the Frontier is ideal for Giga or Kontakt/Kompakt. (Tascam sells the same thing with TDIF outs - I have that in one of the machines.)

Thanks for the encouraging replies, everybody. I do have an RME 9652 in one machine and a Hammerfall DSP/Digiface combo on my main audio rig, and I agree that they\'re perfect. But as Nick mentioned, I only need additional digital outputs for a sampler and I already have these Frontier cards available. I\'ll give the Dakota a shot first to see if I can get 16 outputs and 32 MIDI channels from one card.

I on the other hand have had some terrible luck with the Dakota and XP. The drivers were crashing my machine 20 times a day in the beginning. tech support gave up and stopped returning emails. It was pretty discouraging. The card does have great capabilities for multi channel MIDI, and I use the lightpipe through an ADAT Bridge. If it weren\'t for the drivers that actually still give me problems, I\'d be totally happy with the card.
    Hope it works better for you.
    Regards,
    Tim

Doug and company use them for QLSO (Wavecenter) and they seem to like them...I have one and so far so good.

I use a Frontier WaveCenter card in my VisionDAW PC - it does what it\'s supposed to do and so far seems to work great.

I have a Dakota and Montana installed and use them connected to Sierra. As someone stated earlier, there were some problems with the drivers, but that was years ago. They seem pretty stable now. The Dakota and Montana each take 2 ADAT ins/outs so I could technically do 32 tracks in or out at once. If you are just looking for tracks, one card will give you 16. Customer service is usually (for me) pretty good. At times they have worked quite closely with me in solving problems. I think the cards sound fine also. I sync everything in my studio (Tangos, computer and Yamaha AW4416) with ADAT and that also has been rock solid.... since day one.

The down sides: if you are into higher sample rates, these only do 44.1 or 48. So if you are thinking 96 or higher. Also, this is a small point for some folks today, the midi drivers are not multi client. I used to open my patch editor while in my sequencer and can\'t do that any more (well I can but that is a long work around).

All in all, solid products IMHO.

I wonder what the problems are, Tim. My machines are both running XP - although the Dakota isn\'t the Wavecenter, of course.

Go Back to forum