• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Can I get help from sequencer users of GPO

Share/Bookmark

Can I get help from sequencer users of GPO

I know the best way that myself and the rest of the forum can get help with the composition/orchestration process with GPO. Can some of you better experienced GPO users thoroughly explain the process that you through composing and orchestrating (arranging) you own original music. We can all become more efficient if we share such ideas. I myself thought of because it seems I\'m stuck at the beginning and I\'m not too sure how to get started. How do you record MIDI. Do you put the information in live using the Mod wheel for dynamics or do you draw notes into the sequencer? Your thorough explanations will be very helpful for me and for everyone else in this forum. It will help everyone get the best out of GPO.
    THANKS.
    (outline the process in steps so its easy for us to understand)

- 88chopin

Re: Can I get help from sequencer users of GPO

Check out this site: Compose Forum

\"...outline the process in steps...\"

01: Get inspired, this may include anything from whistling a tune in the shower, to hearing something on a CD that gets me going, to anything inspiring, actually. Mostly this comes from other musicians/forum members though...

02: Sit down with my guitar and start banging it out. A phrase, a motive, a whole track, whatever comes... I also keep a four-track in my bedroom as this is MUCH faster to lay down scratch tracks than firing up the DELL. I then write the melodies and chord progressions to manuscript paper as I record and over-dub on the four track to get a SUPER rough version of what it will sound like.

03: Fire up the DAW and Overture and start inputing the notation I wrote down while I was working with the guitar. I also have a Casio that I use the GM sounds on to compose and overdub with the guitar on the four-track. I try to get the piece flushed out in Overture as a manuscript.

04: Fire up Cubase SX or whichever sequencer you use, and import the midi file that Overture created from my score. Then I start orchestrating, assigning the different midi tracks to the different instruments of the orchestra. This is probably the longest step and it seems I always need to change melodies and cut-and-paste different notes to different tracks, but this and step two are always the most fun...

05: Burn to CD-R and listen about a thousand times while driving to and from work and school in the car\'s CD player. Keep a notepad in the car so I can jot down memos of what I want to change, where to rise and fall with the mod wheel and where to add legato.

06: Fire up Cubase SX again and with notepad in hand, start painting with the mouse. All the mod, sustain and portamento data that I need to make the piece \"breathe\" the way I would have liked to hear it in the car. This part is the most imprtant in making it sound realistic, but has nothing to do with composing.

07: Make mp3 and post on NS so that all the guys from #midi-mockup can secretly make fun of you ( ) while other GPOers offer their valuable opinions about what they would like to see to help improve the piece. Then toss it up on the website, rinse and repeat...

Hope that helps, or makes sense... I REALLY hope others will post their proceedures as there has to be a million and one different ways to do this...

A) I usually startup Cubase and my synths and start playing around... just trying to get some melody. If I have some melody I try to find the right chords for it.

B) Then I start drawing in the notes in the key-editor.
    Melody first, then the bassnote then the rest...

C) After that\'s finished, I draw in the modwheel, sustain and velocities.

I usually work at small sections of a part at a time... say 4-8 bars... so I repeat part B and C a couple of times till I\'m finished.

D) At the end I setup the mix, fx-busses etc. and do an audiomixdown to mp3 to post it here.

And that\'s basicly it.....

Ron

[ QUOTE ]
    Check out this site: Compose Forum

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, one of my goals this weekend is to put up a beginner\'s (beginner\'s only -- so none of you experienced guys are invited :&gt tutorial on orchestrating an existing arrangement with GPO on the site, complete with screen shots, score and MP3 output.

Best laid plans and all that, but if the creek don\'t rise and my honeydo list isn\'t too long that\'s the goal.

Basically, for the few pieces that I\'ve created with GPO, I shuffle through some GPO sounds and improvise on the MIDI controller until something strikes me (hopefully it doesn\'t strike me too hard!). If it\'s a more or less complete phrase or melody, then I\'ll bring up Cubasis and record it quickly, just to get it down in case I have to do something else before I can work on it more (often the case). If it\'s more of a fragment of an idea (often the case) then I may fiddle with it some more until I have something more definitive to record. At that point, I may continue forward with that one instrument, or begin to arrange that segment with other instruments, moving on once that section is more or less arranged. In terms of getting specific parts edited better with timing and articulations and dynamics and all that, sometimes I\'ll do that as I\'m recording parts, and other times I just want to get whatever I can down quickly and will go back later and try to improve the performances by tweaking the modulation, velocity, etc. Or maybe just rerecording a particular track entirely or two until it\'s better.

The way I compose and arrange with GPO is a little bit like Richard Dreyfuss piling mashed potatoes on the table in Close Encounters. There\'s a sense of crafting something, but it\'s a bit hazy and spontaneously driven, and involves a lot of molding and shaping until it looks (sounds) right. Add some butter and gravy and mmm, dat\'s good eatin\'!

Thanks a lot. All of your responses were very helpful. Although the Compose Forum seems pretty empty at the moment. I think its \'cause it just got started.
    Well...
    Thanks.

And if there\'s anyone else with any useful tips, lets keep this thread going.

[ QUOTE ]

The way I compose and arrange with GPO is a little bit like Richard Dreyfuss piling mashed potatoes on the table in Close Encounters. There\'s a sense of crafting something, but it\'s a bit hazy and spontaneously driven, and involves a lot of molding and shaping until it looks (sounds) right. Add some butter and gravy and mmm, dat\'s good eatin\'!

[/ QUOTE ]

What great imagery!!! :-) I do much the same. Then I often go through an analytical step, which I find helps with thematic development/variations.

Trond

Yes! the Close Encounter\'s example is a very graphical one.

When I sit down to make a cue, I do usually have a vague idea of what I want. Sometimes I have previously worked the piece on the piano, but usually not. I find I get better results with orchestral music when the cue is conceived directly with the orchestra at your figertips.

And then, I start recording with the keyboard. May be a melody first, or a string texture for background. Just recording, and deleting, a try and error process. When I reach the end of the cue I ask myself if it has sense and musical structure. I supose that people more prepared than me do this at first.

Anton

Beginner\'s tutorials would sure be useful. I\'m having trouble getting anything to work right and am about ready to chuck this out the window.

Go Back to forum