• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: What's the best way to use GPO?

Share/Bookmark

What\'s the best way to use GPO?

I have been reading/sending posts since GPO was first offered and I have yet to see any detailed method of employing GPO with a sequencer/notation program.

I have been composing MIDI score since 1987 and have used many sequencers and notation programs along the way. My method is to write the score FIRST with pencil and paper and then sequence the instruments track by track, making sure that the velocity/CC7 is balanced and that the blend of instruments doesn\'t produce MIDI noise which interferes with the clarity of the instruments.

In reading many posts I find that GPO is managed by MIDI (tools) as any sampled instrument would be as far as receiving instructions, etc. Is this all there is to it or am I missing something? Many users relate that GPO is so easy to use, and then there are the complaints from users having nightmares. As a Mac user, I expect to have my share of these bad dreams but I just wondered how many of you are manipulating the program; that is, input for GPO playback.

Since my Mac iBook isn\'t fast enough to handle a small GPO orchestra, I will be purchasing a new G4 laptop (1.5Ghz CPU and 1G of RAM). It will hold 2G max. Also will be purchasing GPO soon after. Will this machine be suitable for a sizeable GPO orchestra. Oh, and yes, I am also a Logic 6 user (since V1.0). I feel your sympathy already, but this is such a great forum that I know if I need some in depth help, there will be answers.

Regards, John Cannon

Re: What\'s the best way to use GPO?

It\'s good you said Logic and not ProTools, that is where the most Mac problems are currently...

As far as our users raving of the \"ease-to-use\" that is mainly in comparison to the XXL libs that all showed up before the release of GPO. Take VSL for example, a wonderful lib, but a very demanding one, on both time and computer resources. When you have a violin line playing legato, then pizz, then stacc, then back to legato, you have to use numerous patches for this and numerous midi tracks. With GPO, you have all of this available to you from one patch (with only having to keyswitch once).

The main feature of GPO, is that you can play it in real-time, something that IMHO cannot be done with the larger libraries. The larger libraries were created for reaching the cream-of-the-crop mock-ups. GPO was created to allow you to \'perform\'. And although GPO is being used on network television shows, award shows and radio spot around the world, most of those jobs are being handled with VSL, GOS and EWQL...

As far as the best way to \"use\" GPO? This answer will depend on your method of working, but we have tried to accomadate everyone. I work with it as a VSTi in my host sequencer. A good friend of mine, uses Finale and GPO Studio, for him this option works best... as I said, it\'s all about your current work-flow, no need to disrupt what you\'re already comfortable with.

I think that\'s what you were asking, if not, reword and ask again, I\'ll be here all day

[ QUOTE ]
    When you have a violin line playing legato, then pizz, then stacc, then back to legato, you have to use numerous patches for this and numerous midi tracks. With GPO, you have all of this available to you from one patch (with only having to keyswitch once)

[/ QUOTE ]

Alan:
    Correct me if I\'m wrong, but in GPO, I have to use 3 miditracks to do that.
    1 for the sus+short or lush strings patch, 1 for the pizz (or the combo) patch and 1 for the short bows patch.

Did I miss something like an update which has all these in one combo using keyswitches ?
    (The only combo I know switches between tremelo, half trills, whole trills and pizz)

If not.....

Tom Hopkins:
    Isn\'t it an idea to create such combo\'s ? That would be extremely usefull....
    Of course these patches would use up a lot of memory, but not more than all the individual patches combined no ?

JMCanon:
    The great ease of use of GPO is, like Alan said, the fact that you can load the entire orchestra on one computer to play your entire piece in realtime.
    The bigger libs can\'t do that, you\'ll need 3-4 real fast computers to pull that off, or render each track to audio before writing the next one...

Believe me, you really can\'t go wrong with GPO. It sounds great, can do just about any type of orchesrtal music and it\'s deadcheap too.....

Ron

[ QUOTE ]
    Alan:
    Correct me if I\'m wrong, but in GPO, I have to use 3 miditracks to do that.
    1 for the sus+short or lush strings patch, 1 for the pizz (or the combo) patch and 1 for the short bows patch.

Did I miss something like an update which has all these in one combo using keyswitches ?
    (The only combo I know switches between tremelo, half trills, whole trills and pizz)

Ron

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope, you\'re right, I\'m wrong... see what visiting a forum on a Saturday before coffee will do to ya. I had forgotten that those were the tremelo patches and not the sustained, as I don\'t use the section patches, ever. I always build my sections from the ensemble strings...

Sorry guys for the mis-info.

Yes, a patch like that would be useful (useful enough for me to believe it was already there, hehehe...) and I will mention it to Tom the next time he calls...

There will be more combo keyswitches in the next update. There is no date as of yet on the next update.

[ QUOTE ]
    It\'s good you said Logic and not ProTools, that is where the most Mac problems are currently...

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you ever foresee this problem being fixed?

GPO does not function as it should within Pro Tools, yet PT is the most widely used professional audio application. Are you targeting GPO to a different type of consumer, under the assumption that Pros will probably use Giga, VSL or EWQL as you mentioned?

There are a gazzilion Digi 002, 002r and Mbox users who would love this program!!

I am hanging on with my GPO for now (11 voices only) but am about to either go Giga or EWQL because GPO simply does not work right, and I doubt Digidesign will put any effort into getting it to work, and I am sensing that is where the problem lies.

We are working on the problem and hope to fix many quirks with the next update.

True GPO was not designed to compete with VSL and the like, and if you look at our poll sticky\'ed to the top of the forum, you;ll see that we actually have very little PT users when compared to the other sequencers.

Whether this is the whole \"chicken and the egg\" thing, I don\'t know, but we\'ve found most of our users are Cakewalk/Steinberg users, and these sequencers have very little problems with GPO.

PERSONAL OPINION: I might end up deleting this later as I don\'t know how often moderators should butt in with their personal opinions but, I\'m glad with the results of the poll, showing that many users are moving away from the hardware dependant PT to more \"free\'ing\" apps like Sonar and SX...

I was a PT user for a while, but after getting my hands on SX over at a friend\'s studio, I called Steiny the next day and never looked back.

John:

A couple of weeks ago, I upgraded to a [PC] Toshiba laptop (A45-S250) which was capable of 2GB memory, specifically to handle a larger GPO orchestra setup. I\'m happy to say, it was more than worth the purchase. I currently use a very large orchestra template in Sonar 3, and have little-to-no headroom problems with GPO, memory-wise.

As a Pro Tools user I realize I\'m in the minority. That said, GPO is advertized as being compatible with VST, DXi, RTAS & OSX Audiounits. There\'s no disclaimer stating that one plug-in gets better or worse performance than another plug-in.

I\'m know this is a NI problem and Gary\'s doing everything he can to make us all happy. But please don\'t forget about the PT users because of our numbers. There\'s a lot of PT users who are unhappy about the performance about all NI products and therefore stay away from them. But Gary can influence NI in a far more productive way than we can. And as soon as the NI problems get worked out, you\'ll see a huge jump in GPO/PT users. I\'m very happy with the limited results I get on my laptop. But I\'m waiting for the day when I can load 50 or 60 instruments at one time.

Jeff

[ QUOTE ]
    There will be more combo keyswitches in the next update. There is no date as of yet on the next update.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is there a date, as of yet, on the next update??

Sorry, it\'s the \'devil\'s brew\' making me type silly things....

HAL

Go Back to forum