• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Question for Synthetic at Tascam

Share/Bookmark

Question for Synthetic at Tascam

Synthetic,
    Firstly, I\'m disappointed about the delay in GS3...but will continue to wait patiently
    Anyway, I am building a dedicated computer, specifically for the release of GS3.
    I am using a P4 3.2E processor, Asus P4C800-E Deluxe mb, with Raptor 10,000k hard drive for samples and separate sata drive for programs/system.
    I use Giga primarily for large piano libraries....I have (or will have) close to a dozen by the time GS3 is released. I would like to load all piano libraries into GS3 at the same time, and I wondered if 1 gig of Ram (Corsair TwinX1024 Low latency) would be adequate, or would I be safer with 2 gigs.

many thanks
    Mal

Re: Question for Synthetic at Tascam

thanks Lee, but I already have it on order

Where\'s the outrage when Microsoft decided to delay Longhorn?

No outrage here....I don\'t want to have to buy a new computer anytime soon.

Besides, what\'s longhorn going to do for us? GS3 hopefully will enable us to make better music.

[ QUOTE ]
    Besides, what\'s longhorn going to do for us?

[/ QUOTE ]

64-bit system => more RAM => more samples on one machine

My thread has got a little off track here guys. My original question was....

\" I am building a dedicated computer, specifically for the release of GS3.
    I am using a P4 3.2E processor, Asus P4C800-E Deluxe mb, with Raptor 10,000k hard drive for samples and separate sata drive for programs/system.
    I use Giga primarily for large piano libraries....I have (or will have) close to a dozen by the time GS3 is released. I would like to load all piano libraries into GS3 at the same time, and I wondered if 1 gig of Ram (Corsair TwinX1024 Low latency) would be adequate, or would I be safer with 2 gigs.\"

Any clues Synthetic...or others

thanks
    Mal

Thanks Lee
    Ram Guy at Corsair said it is better not to fill up all 4 memory slots on the P4C800-E if possible, as it might be unstable???? If I must do this, I have to set cass at 2.5-3-3-7 rather than 2.3.2.6. So if I want 2 gigs of Ram, it is better to get the TwinX-2048 module(matched pair of 1 gig) which only fill 2 slots.
    All this technical stuff...all I want to do is play piano

I\'m also using the ASUS P4C800-E board with 4 - 512 MB sticks of RAM. I\'m using Kingmax memory with CAS latency of 2.5. The system is very stable using all 4 memory slots. 1 GB memory chips are just way too expensive at this point in time. I think some of the Corsair memory is overkill for a music system where disk streaming is the biggest bottleneck. Spent a lot of time reading what other users had to say about the different memory. The Kingmax was one of the few PC3200 chips running 2.5 CAS and was much cheaper than the other brands. There wasn\'t one bad review of this memory.

I spent the money saved on memory towards building a quiet PC. It\'s great barely even hearing the PC.

Thanks a lot Lee and Haydn. I probably went for a bit of overkill with the Corsair LL ram. Expensive too!
    Like you Lee, I have spent too much time lurking on the hardware forums

One more question please Lee. I will probably get a second 74gig Raptor. What is the best Raid setup I should tell the computer tech to set it up as? Raid 0, 1 or 5.

my rig will be

P4 3.2E
    P4C800-E deluxe
    Corsair 2x TwinX1024LL (2GB) at 2.5-3-3-7
    Asus V9520 FX200
    2x 74 GB Raptors (samples)
    80 gig Sata WD 8mb(system)
    RME HDSP9632
    Antec Sonata case

Two 1-gig sticks of Corsair is the way I would go. You pay a bit more than if you get 4x512 sticks, but I have also heard that less sticks can be better. They use less electrons and the info has less hoops to jump through. Two is the way the to go because whatever limits you run into, you can still get more memory usage than with a single gig of RAM. On top of that, you get more memory headroom left over for processing. Even if a system was unable to use more than a gig for samples, the computer can still use the extra ram for other things.

\"but the new security and CP (especially the MS/RIAA collaboration) is really going to piss some people off.\"

How exactly would they be able to stop people from simply pluging the analog out of the CD player into the Analog input of their audio card and recording away and then triming the waves and sharing those? Also, serious music traders & pirates could simply use older systems until the new one gets cracked. (as they always do!)

Cheers
    Dave

Go Back to forum