• Register
  • Help

Topic: Need some opinions...

Share/Bookmark

Need some opinions...

sponsored links

***Advertisments***
    Ok here is another demo for Morning\'s Wrath, I need some input.

http://nwvault.ign.com/Files/sounds/data/1085808904000.shtml

Thanks in advance,

Re: Need some opinions...

Great composition Adam. It\'ll be great for the game.

The only problem I have is with the mix. It\'s well-balanced and the levels seem good but I think it sounds a bit...overdone (for lack of a better term).

When the percussion comes in 20 seconds in or so, the piece awakens and fills the spectrum. But the only thing I can really hear filling out the low-end is the percussion. This makes all the other instruments seem thin by comparison. When the perc comes in it would be nice to \"feel\" the low brass as well as hear it.

Did you do any roll-offs or high-pass Eq\'ing on the brass?

It\'s really a tough call. A lot of the higher-end is balanced really well and get about as close to \"real\" sounding as you can get with libraries. That kinda accentuates the low end problems.

I\'m just being nit-picky. I have a feeling that maybe you\'re not using really accurate monitors, which will lead to over EQ\'ing sometimes. Have you referenced it on different systems yet? I\'d suggest doing some more of that and fine-tuning the low-end.

Don\'t let me freak you out though. It\'ll pass just fine the way it is.

Cheers!

Very nice! I think the mix could use some better mastering....maybe some EQ and compression.

Actually I did no EQ editing, all I did was add an acoustic mirror reverb and boost the volume to maximum level. Hehe I could laugh about the monitor thing though, I mix with headphones since it would be too loud to listen to monitors and would disturb my dad. Besides the headphones and speakers are routed through an old RCA stereo with EQ on it, that is where the problem lies. Since my headphones and speakers are both 1/8\" TRS jacks I am unable to plug directly into the source and then I would still need them powered or it would be too faint to hear. Anyways, I was looking at the Mackie HR824\'s and the
    Behringer B2031 Truth Monitor Speakers, but do they use RCA stereo plugs (red/white). As for the thin quality of the brass I think I will double cello and basses at ff with the brass to give em more power.

I have been debating on whether to mix all tracks individually at max volume, boost to 0.0, use acoustic mirror place them properly in the stereo field without adding the actual reverb, mix all tracks and lower as needed. Then apply the acoustic mirror reverb on the mixed track. But that was a issue of time, man I hate mixing...lol.

EDIT: That 0.0 means if it was +0.1 more it would clip.

Thanks in advance,

[ QUOTE ]
    Actually I did no EQ editing, all I did was add an acoustic mirror reverb and boost the volume to maximum level. Hehe I could laugh about the monitor thing though, I mix with headphones since it would be too loud to listen to monitors and would disturb my dad. Besides the headphones and speakers are routed through an old RCA stereo with EQ on it, that is where the problem lies. Since my headphones and speakers are both 1/8\" TRS jacks I am unable to plug directly into the source and then I would still need them powered or it would be too faint to hear. Anyways, I was looking at the Mackie HR824\'s and the
    Behringer B2031 Truth Monitor Speakers, but do they use RCA stereo plugs (red/white). As for the thin quality of the brass I think I will double cello and basses at ff with the brass to give em more power.

I have been debating on whether to mix all tracks individually at max volume, boost to 0.0, use acoustic mirror place them properly in the stereo field without adding the actual reverb, mix all tracks and lower as needed. Then apply the acoustic mirror reverb on the mixed track. But that was a issue of time, man I hate mixing...lol.

EDIT: That 0.0 means if it was +0.1 more it would clip.

Thanks in advance,

[/ QUOTE ]

I think both the monitors you refer to require XLR cables.

It\'s really close to being top-notch. You\'ll never get the mix right the first time. I would suggest burning the mix you just did down to CD and listening to it in your car stereo, a boom box, home theatre system...whatever you have available to reference. That process will clearly show any imbalances in your mix, and the slightest changes you make afterward will have a big impact on the final mix-down.

BTW, are you using a taiko or concert bass drum in addition to the timps. or are those timps just boomy?

Good idea I will try that, as for the piece I used:

Sam Timpani
    Carlisle Green\'s Timpani (ultimate percussion)
    LOP Ludwig bd
    LOP Yamaha bd

The timpanis are not playing in the same pitch one is playing one octave higher and switching to lower etc as the other takes its role, I think it gives it a cool effect. Bass drums are playing in unison.

Regards,

Go Back to forum