• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: GPO in Tamayo Play

Share/Bookmark

GPO in Tamayo Play

Hi all,

This is part of a Soundtrack I wrote for the play \"A new play\" by spanish writer Manuel Tamayo, which has been released to the public last week. The cue I\'d like to share with you corresponds to the ending of the play. I\'d very much like to know your impressions on this cue, comments on composition, performance and mixing are welcomed. Of course, it uses GPO exclusively

Hope you like it:

http://www.puerto25.com/~galvedro/Finale.mp3

(if the link doesn\'t work for you, please try by right clicking)

Anton

Re: GPO at theatre

galvedro.

As a musical director for 14 year in theatre I would say this is quite magnificent! Love to see and hear the production someday.
    There is one slight, now this is the percussionist in me, spot around 00:58-59 where there is a cymbal crash just before a timpani downbeat that in my opinion would be best effective if moved to coincide with the timpani. To me this stuck out like a sore thumb. It takes away from the power of the downbeat. Ya know what I mean?
    Other than that tieny wieny itsy bitsy spot, AWESOME!

I agree with Styxx, moving the cymbal in time with the downbeat of the timpani would bigger and better. Also if you are using a sequencer, try extending the end of each string note into the next slightly, that will remove the sluggish attack of the strings that you are using. Try using violins sus+short instead of the vlns lush. It sounds like maybe you did not use the pedal for connecting the violin notes, they are separated and should be connected,,,know what I mean Vern? Very good otherwise!

Manuel Tamayo was one of the most popular Spanish playwrights in the late19th cent. The tragic masterpeice \"Un drama nuevo\" (1867; tr. A New Play) was one of his many successful plays. In his dramas Tamayo often wrote about the social problems of the day.

Your Finale is grand. If I close my eyes I can imagine being at a Spanish theatre watching a drama. The beginning of the piece is dramatic and bold.
    Judicious use of the legato feature, as DPDan points out, would make this masterpiece really shine. Also, if you use convolution reverb I would be happy to send you a custom designed impulse. Excellent writing and arranging.

Thanks for posting your music. Hope this can be posted on the GPO site.

Gary Garritan

A lovely piece. I think that I must work very, very hard to catch up to the composers on this site.

Dennis Burton

Wow, this is good !

Only thing I can think of, is that it could use a bit more reverb.
    And maybe just a tad less dynamics (you made me run to my Amp at about 45 secs.... )

Otherwise, excelent !

Ron

Thank you very much for your feedback!

Styxx, DPDan,You don't know how many times I moved that cymbal from its actual location to the Timpani downbeat! Here.. no it's better here... no, I like this way the more... no, wait... . I finally decided to bring the cymbal first, and leave the timpany roll along to help in the decay feeling to the repetition. But probably you're right, and it shoud be matched with the timpani.

Ron, your impressions are precise. The cue you are hearing is exactly the same we play at stage. Thus, a dryer mix id required to avoid a dirty sound when playing at the theatre room. And that extremely wide dynamic range is because the first section (pp) is played in sync with the final monologue.

Respect the legato violins, I completely agree with you. I definitely need to tweak on it for a while.

Gary, I'm constantly amazed by your elegance and generosity. Of course, it would be a honour for me to contribute with my work to your site, so please feel free to use this cue in the demo page. And you're right I'm using SIR for reverb, your custom impulse would be really welcomed. Thank you!

Anton

Quote Originally Posted by Garritan
    Manuel Tamayo was one of the most popular Spanish playwrights in the late19th cent. The tragic masterpeice \"Un drama nuevo\" (1867; tr. A New Play) was one of his many successful plays. In his dramas Tamayo often wrote about the social problems of the day.
    Never heard of him. Thank's for bringing it up. Always nice to learn about new (even though it's really old) music.

Cheers

Rodney

Quote Originally Posted by R. Glenn
    Never heard of him. Thank's for bringing it up. Always nice to learn about new (even though it's really old) music.

Cheers

Rodney
    Hi Rodney,

Manuel Tamayo was not a composer, but a writer. The music is mine!

Anton

The link seems to be broken now.. ??
    "Music is a manifestation of the human spirit similar to a language. If we do not want such things to remain dead treasures, we must do our utmost to make the greatest number of people understand their secrets" -- Zoltan Kodaly

Go Back to forum