• Register
  • Help

Topic: SATA 160GB only showing 120GB

Share/Bookmark

SATA 160GB only showing 120GB

Any clues on what could be wrong?

Ive tried go through windows maintanence and activate and deactiovate the drive.. no luck

Re: SATA 160GB only showing 120GB

This is probably caused by a BIOS issue on your motherboard which limits the amount of the drive to 127 GB I believe. I had a simular problem...First check to see if there is a BIOS update for your MB. If not and if the HDD is not your primary system drive you should be able to use Administrative Tools in Windows to repartition the drive with the full drive capacity.

Go into Administrative Tools - Computer Management - Storage - Disk Management

Then click on the drive - Rt click and choose Delete Partition - Then choose to Create a partion and it should use the entire capacity of the drive. **Keep in mind that will delete all information on the drive.

I hope that helps.

Edward

I tried the whole maintinance solution when I first saw the orob.. ill try update my BIOS... other ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by Marcussen
    I tried the whole maintinance solution when I first saw the orob.. ill try update my BIOS... other ideas?
    Have you checked the jumper settings on the drive? Sometimes there is a setting to reduce the capacity of the drive to make it compatible with older PC's.

Other than that I would check the HDD manufacturer website and see if there is an FAQ's on the subject.

Good luck.

Edward

I think the Bios update did teh trick... Now I see teh drives as 160GB in the bios, which I dident earlier. Havent freed the extra space in windows, since im not quite ready for a reformat

(reinstalling samples and registering again is a real pain )

Wink Re: SATA 160GB only showing 120GB

I have the maxtor 160GB and all i need to do is to load the special patch wor windows made by maxtor.

try one for yours HDD manufacturer.

Go Back to forum