• Register
  • Help

Topic: OH NO! I Deleted My Files...

Share/Bookmark

OH NO! I Deleted My Files...

Hi,

It seems that if anyone knows the solution (if there is one) to this it will be someone on this forum.
    I just transfered a bunch of midi files from one computer to another and in doing so, I mistakenly deleted them....and then emptied the trash. And...I have no backup. Its a long stupid story so I wont go into how it happened, but does anyone here know how to retrieve data in this kind of situation?
    Is there maybe a software program that I could buy, etc, etc?

Thanks for your help.
    Runamuck

Re: OH NO! I Deleted My Files...

Hi runamuck:

There are several utilities that can recover files after the trash has been emptied. However, you must not write anything else to the hard drive or they will be lost. The actual data is still present on the drive. When you delete a file using the recycle icon, a mark is placed in the directory indicating that this file is no longer needed and its space on the drive is available.

One utility that I use is Ontrack\'s Fix-It Utilities. You can pick it up for about $30. There are other, perhaps, better utilities. Follow the directions on the software for recovering a file without first installing the Fix-It Utilities. This will be done from the CD-ROM. Oncec you recover your files, then permanently install the utility -- it\'s very useful.

Let me know how it goes. I hope you recover your music.

clueless

Hi Clueless,

Well I went out today and bought the program you recommended and retreived about half of the songs I had deleted. Actually I think I got almost all of them but only half were still intact enough to be read as a midi file. My wife mistakenly saved some stuff today and evidently some of it wrote over my deleted files.

So although I have been really depressed about this (I lost about 10 songs and about 100 hours of work) I wanted to tell you how much I appreciated your help. And also to say \"I promise...it will never happen to me again\".
    I am quickly evolving into the king of back up.

Thanks again,
    Runamuck

Hi Runamuck,

Check if your sequencer creates backup files automatically. I use CakeWalk and my HD is littered with autosaves of works in progress. They\'re all lumped together in one directory and I don\'t bother deleting them.

Another utility worth considering for recovering deleted files is Norton\'s Undelete (I think that\'s what it\'s called) although it may only be available as part of the full Norton Utilities package. Norton\'s Utilities are very powerful. You may know someone who owns the software who could run it on your HD for you.

I too know the agony of losing hours and hours of work. :-(

------------------
    BluesMeister

Go Back to forum