• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Studio Monitors.....seeking advice!

Share/Bookmark

Studio Monitors.....seeking advice!

Ok,

I\'m currently seeking monitors around the $500 range. I went into Guitar Center about 3 weeks ago listening to some monitors, cause I\'m now in the market for some. I thought I\'d be going for the M-Audio BX-8\'s....but OUCH.....no, definitely not for me. I had a very knowledgable sales rep talk with me for about 45 minutes on KRK monitors. I hadn\'t been fond with these, so I checked them out. WOW.....amazing. I heard their V4 monitors, and those things rocked for only 4\" drivers! The sales rep told me the V series were more of the premium line of KRK, and the new Rokit series is more budget. The KRK Rokit 8\'s are $500 and have many of the elements of the V series, but are toned down for pricing.

Main selling points for me are:
    Front porting
    VERY low cross-over range
    Self-powered
    Loud and clear
    Kevlar heads (if meeting in price range)

I just saw a lightly used pair of V6\'s on ebay for a great price (under $500 at the moment). One V6 monitor is $400 anywhere else. I was originally looking at the Rokit 8\" driver, but now I\'m more into the 6\", at least for the V series! My studio environment is a desk up against a wall, with somewhat hollow dry wall. I\'ve been told 8\" drivers can be too powerful, and cause boomyness. I need some advice on what would be the wiser opinion.

Bigger 8\" driver, lower model, new
    OR
    Smaller 6\" driver, higher model, lightly used

This thread is mainly on the discussion of KRK, so please try to reference me within these products.

KRK\'s website
    www.krksys.com

Jared

Re: Studio Monitors.....seeking advice!

I have a pair of Roland DS-50a\'s and I love um. Digital connections... they sound great.

The GC guys really are trying to push the KRK stuff it seems.

I thought the RP8\'s were ok when I listened to them, but they seemed a bit muddy in the low mids to me. Everything I listened to had some sort of problem tho. I hated teh Alesis. I really was hoping I\'d liek them, but the ProLinears jsut didnt do it for me.

I just bought aslightly used Blue Sky System one on Ebay...cant wait till they come in. Its supposed to be killer. I would have went with the KRK\'s tho if I didnt go this route (or mackies, if I bit the bullet). The V8\'s would be the ones I would have tried, and probably bought. Since they are better than the RP series, adnd I could hav lived with the RP-8s (but really kicked myself about the low mids)

I hear the Tapco\'s are nice. Those were the last ones I wanted to try, but gave in, because I hate monitor shopping.

If I were you. I\'d probably go with the V6 over the RP-8, but thats just oging on whta I THINK would have been better, I didnt actually HEAR the V6 series, so I could be wrong.

My only advice is: probably don\'t get these--- > \"Roland DS-50a\'s\" ;-)

No offense but they\'re crap....

Cool King, blue sky\'s are pretty cool..... you get the 2.1 system?

KID-

I might be trying out the Genelec 8030A\'s when they come out. But they are about 500 dollars--per single monitor...

I considered getting cheaper monitors like the M-audios. But I think that it is definitely better to think of long term solutions, instead of short term ones. If I got the M-audios, I know that I\'d still end up upgrading in a year or two anyways....

[ QUOTE ]

Cool King, blue sky\'s are pretty cool..... you get the 2.1 system?

KID-

[/ QUOTE ]

Hehehe, monitors are highly subjective. I actually own the BX8\'S mentioned in the first post and love them.

I noticed that Mark Isham and Jeff Rona have switched to them too. Not bad considering they are a mid-price monitors and these guys are top film composers who could basically buy any monitors they want.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I have a pair and like them. Then again, NS-10\'s are crap and every major studio in the world either has them or has had them.

[ QUOTE ]
    Ok,

I\'m currently seeking monitors around the $500 range. I went into Guitar Center about 3 weeks ago listening to some monitors, cause I\'m now in the market for some. I thought I\'d be going for the M-Audio BX-8\'s....but OUCH.....no, definitely not for me.

[/ QUOTE ]

I\'ve never been able to work with KRKs for longer than an hour without getting fatigued. I went with the BX-8s and found them too big for my room. I switched to BX5s and a subwoofer and was very pleased. I then added the LX5 5.1 system, and can mix and match between two sets of stereo, two sets of 2.1, 5.1 and up to 7.1 (or even 7.2) by putting one or two of the BX5s in the rear surrounds. It\'s NICE.

Hey Kid,

I didn\'t like the DS-50s either, I dont think they\'re crap tho...a bit expensive for what they are tho. DS-90s are worse, agian mostly for the price. I havent heard them in a while tho, so I might jsut be remembering the good things.

I got the System One 2.1
    two Sat 6.5 and the Sub 12

check out the friggin deal

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3726861480&ssp agename=STRK%3AMEWN%3AIT&rd=1

It was just too good to pass up. Monitors that a few people are raving about, and under what I almost spent on Mackies. Excited to get these suckers in the studio.

I havent had a new pair of Monitors in 7 years.
    I got really used to the NS-10s. I knew them. I get to really dig into my mixes with them because of the present mid range.

Question

What about Yamaha MSP5 ?
    http://www.yamaha.com/yamahavgn/CDA/...RODUCT,00.html

I was about to buy a pair of them. Any advice ?

Go Back to forum