• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Overture SE Only Useable with GPO?

Share/Bookmark

Overture SE Only Useable with GPO?

After much travail I finally was able to get Overture SE to work with GPO on some files. But try as I might, I can\'t get anything from my normal soundcard synthesizer to work with the software. Is the Overture SE bundled with GPO only compatible with GPO, or am I just missing something painfully obvious again? I\'m happy to putz with it to figure out what\'s going on, but I\'d just as soon know if I\'m wasting my time before doing so. I did download the upgrade to 3.6.0 but still no dice. TIA for any clues to my many mysteries. Once I\'m actually getting sound, maybe I\'ll be able to start figuring out how to make some music.

Re: Overture SE Only Useable with GPO?

Gardibolt...
    Putz away by all means! It\'s fun! I have put Ove through a lot of paces, and it\'s a winner!
    I have used Ove with a Roland Virtual Sound Canvas with great success. You didn\'t specify Windoze or Mac; I\'ll assume Windoze, but these things are universal AFAIK.

I\'ll offer two suggestions:
    1. Go to Options>MIDI devices>Output Devices and make sure that your desired device is highlighted. If not, click on it and it should highlight. Move it to the top. Hit the little button next to it and you should hear a familiar 4-note theme.

2. If you are working with one of the sample scores (not a bad idea for learning purposes!), go to the tracks window. Select one of the tracks and make sure that the \"device\" section is pointing to your soundcard or \"General Midi\" and make sure you have selected an appropriate channel.

3. (So I\'m a liar) If you live in an exotic locale, buy me a round-trip ticket, put me up for a week, and I\'ll get you running. If you\'re in Pittsburgh or the like, forget it.

Betcha that\'ll getcha going!!

One other thing: (Hope Don Williams sees this!!) I do a lot of score prep for various people. I have been using Finale since version 2.2 on Windows 3.1. Once I get a few issues sorted out (alternate font mappings, for ex.), I am going to move to Overture full time. In my experience, Overture can do about 95% of what Finale can do (and 99.x% of what I need it to do), accomplishes that 95% much more logically & easily than Finale, and the MIDI implementation blows me away! the individually (or commonly) definable dynamics system is a stroke of genius, as is the implementation of hairpins, etc. Also helpful is the graphic window for drawing controller data. Needless to say, GPO implementation is a breeze with Ove but a PITA with Finale, as is most MIDI work. If you\'re having GPO problems, plenty o\' help available here!!

In the words of another listmember, Overture is \"the bee\'s knees!\"

Regards...Jim Williams

Am I right in realizing that the Overture SE program for GPO does not include Lyrics? Ack. I love Overture, but I was hoping to score my musicals with it... Actually, I guess I could enter all the lyrics with text boxes, but that\'s a major workaround (PITA!).

Thanks, snorlax. I am indeed using Windows, but unless you consider Madison, Wisconsin exotic I\'m afraid we\'re out of luck for the tour.

The synth I want to use is highlighted and at the top of the list. But the 8 instances of GPO are all highlighted too, and I can\'t remove the highlighting. Does yours do that? The synth does play the dadadadahhh when I press the test, but doesn\'t give any output when trying to play anything else.

\"2. If you are working with one of the sample scores (not a bad idea for learning purposes!), go to the tracks window. Select one of the tracks and make sure that the \"device\" section is pointing to your soundcard or \"General Midi\" and make sure you have selected an appropriate channel.\"
    Tried this, and the first two tracks would point to the soundcard but the others would only point to General Midi. Weird. But I did manage to get sound out of it this way (albeit wretched and nasty sound) so that\'s a start.

Quote Originally Posted by gardibolt
    Thanks, snorlax. I am indeed using Windows, but unless you consider Madison, Wisconsin exotic I\'m afraid we\'re out of luck for the tour.
    Well, Gardibolt, my brother lives in Madison, but I have no plans to visit him in the foreseeable 50 centuries.

The synth I want to use is highlighted and at the top of the list. But the 8 instances of GPO are all highlighted too, and I can\'t remove the highlighting. Does yours do that? The synth does play the dadadadahhh when I press the test, but doesn\'t give any output when trying to play anything else.

\"2. If you are working with one of the sample scores (not a bad idea for learning purposes!), go to the tracks window. Select one of the tracks and make sure that the \"device\" section is pointing to your soundcard or \"General Midi\" and make sure you have selected an appropriate channel.\"
    Tried this, and the first two tracks would point to the soundcard but the others would only point to General Midi. Weird. But I did manage to get sound out of it this way (albeit wretched and nasty sound) so that\'s a start.
    The multiple highlighting exists for me but seems benign if my Virtual Sound Canvas is on top of the list. Haven't tried putting the VSC in another position
    Why not send me a copy of the .OVE file and I'll see what I can do with it...these things are so hard to diagnose by written word--at least for me, it's easier to work with the actual file.
    What sound card do you use? Is it configured on your machine as a default sound device? Any details you can offer may help. I'll try with my VSC & see what happens.

Jim

And if anyone can please confirm or deny whether Lyrics can be inputted with Overture SE for GPO... I was poking around it briefly last night, but couldn't find anything for Lyrics.
    www.EricHermanMusic.com
    - Cool Tunes for Kids -

More Questions

Quote Originally Posted by snorlax
    Well, Gardibolt, my brother lives in Madison, but I have no plans to visit him in the foreseeable 50 centuries.

The multiple highlighting exists for me but seems benign if my Virtual Sound Canvas is on top of the list. Haven't tried putting the VSC in another position
    Why not send me a copy of the .OVE file and I'll see what I can do with it...these things are so hard to diagnose by written word--at least for me, it's easier to work with the actual file.
    What sound card do you use? Is it configured on your machine as a default sound device? Any details you can offer may help. I'll try with my VSC & see what happens.

Jim,

Sorry to hear that Madison doesn't measure up to Tahiti, but we do what we can.

Using an Audigy 2 ZS soundcard. It's the default sound device (in fact the only sound device).

I'll forward one of my files (from a preexisting midi file) tonight and let you take a peek and see what's going on here.

More Overture SE/GPO questions: how does one [nss][nss][nss]ociate a track in Overture with a MIDI patch? with a GPO sound file? The documentation materials for both of these programs are sorely lacking in actual practical usage instructions, with GPO spending valuable manual space telling us instead what a violin is...thanks, but most folks using this program probably have a vague idea of that already.

Let's say that I want to do an Overture file for piano trio, with the tracks set as violin, cello and piano, respectively. There's no prefab setup for that in either Overture or GPO Studio, so how do I establish that and save it both for this particular piece and also for future ones so I don't have to recreate it from scratch every time? Do I have to do separate setups for each program? Or does it have to be done from scratch each time, which would strike me as pretty impractical? I've looked through the documentation and tutorials for both programs but don't see anything talking about this vital point, and it's hard to get very far without this basic first step. Also, in a small ensemble like this, would one typically use a GPO solo violin or an ensemble violin?

Maybe this system gets more user-friendly as it goes along but I'm sure not there yet. I'm fighting back the tears, though.

Thanks for the help so far! I surely come across as a dunce but really and truly I've been sequencing happily for six or seven years now! Stupid incompatible XP rendering my old sequencer useless.....

Mark

More Overture SE/GPO questions: how does one [nss][nss][nss]ociate a track in Overture with a MIDI patch? with a GPO sound file? The documentation materials for both of these programs are sorely lacking in actual practical usage instructions, with GPO spending valuable manual space telling us instead what a violin is...thanks, but most folks using this program probably have a vague idea of that already.
    There is a good tutorial on the Overture/GPO support page, which explains how to connect Overture tracks to specific sounds. Basically, you open the Tracks Window, and select from there. Here's the link.
    www.EricHermanMusic.com
    - Cool Tunes for Kids -

Let's say that I want to do an Overture file for piano trio, with the tracks set as violin, cello and piano, respectively. There's no prefab setup for that in either Overture or GPO Studio, so how do I establish that and save it both for this particular piece and also for future ones so I don't have to recreate it from scratch every time? Do I have to do separate setups for each program? Or does it have to be done from scratch each time, which would strike me as pretty impractical? I've looked through the documentation and tutorials for both programs but don't see anything talking about this vital point, and it's hard to get very far without this basic first step. Also, in a small ensemble like this, would one typically use a GPO solo violin or an ensemble violin?
    That's easy, create your Overture file the way you want it, your piano track and your strings tracks. Set up the "Tracks Window" outputting the sound where you want it, be it GPO Studio or GM soundfonts. Save the file as an .ove file but you'll be using it as a template. If you are using Studio, then all you do is set up Studio to match your outputs in Overture. So lets say that the Violin is your second track in Overture, and you have the Violin loaded in GPO Studio in GPO instance number 2, channel 1. Well you need to make sure that in Overture in the "Tracks Window" that you have the violin outputting to GPO Studio 2, and then the channel would be one. Then you save them both as Piano Trio Template or something similar. Then everytime you go to use this file the instruments are already set up and all you have to do is play. Hope this doesn't confuse.

Also, when you add tracks in Overture, lets say that you're wanting to add a tuba track. If it is outputting to General Midi (your audigy's built in sounds) then it should default to the Tuba sample automatically. If this isn't happening then something is wrong. If you are wanting to use Studio, then every time you add a track in Overture, you are going to have to set up the outputs in the Tracks Window to match where you load the sound in Studio, or it isn't going to do anything at all.

BTW: Overture SE should work with any sampler out there. As long as the outputs show up in the Tracks Window then you are good. So if your audigy outputs are showing up, then it should work just fine. I'm pretty sure it will work with Kontakt as well as Gigastudio.

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Burrell
    That's easy, create your Overture file the way you want it, your piano track and your strings tracks. Set up the "Tracks Window" outputting the sound where you want it, be it GPO Studio or GM soundfonts. Save the file as an .ove file but you'll be using it as a template. If you are using Studio, then all you do is set up Studio to match your outputs in Overture. So lets say that the Violin is your second track in Overture, and you have the Violin loaded in GPO Studio in GPO instance number 2, channel 1. Well you need to make sure that in Overture in the "Tracks Window" that you have the violin outputting to GPO Studio 2, and then the channel would be one. Then you save them both as Piano Trio Template or something similar. Then everytime you go to use this file the instruments are already set up and all you have to do is play. Hope this doesn't confuse.

Also, when you add tracks in Overture, lets say that you're wanting to add a tuba track. If it is outputting to General Midi (your audigy's built in sounds) then it should default to the Tuba sample automatically. If this isn't happening then something is wrong. If you are wanting to use Studio, then every time you add a track in Overture, you are going to have to set up the outputs in the Tracks Window to match where you load the sound in Studio, or it isn't going to do anything at all.

BTW: Overture SE should work with any sampler out there. As long as the outputs show up in the Tracks Window then you are good. So if your audigy outputs are showing up, then it should work just fine. I'm pretty sure it will work with Kontakt as well as Gigastudio.

Whoa whoa whoa slow down there big fella! "create your Overture file the way you want it, your piano track and your strings tracks" is begging the question a little bit. How d'you do that?

Go Back to forum