• Register
  • Help

Topic: Full Kontakt or Sonar 3?

Share/Bookmark

Question Full Kontakt or Sonar 3?

If I purchase Sonar 3 studio or producer will I still need the Full Version Kontakt player? I am not quite clear as to what GOS lite calls for to effectively use all the features.

Quote Originally Posted by Styxx
    ...to effectively use all the features...
    ...you would need GigaStudio. Your sequencer won't make a difference in this. Maestro Tools and GOS (lite and full) were designed for GigaStudio, and although alot of the new samplers support Giga formated samples, there's always some things that don't port over perfectly.

However, the newest version of Kontakt 1.5.2 (I believe) does a fairly decent job of porting things over AND you would be able to load GPO into it and run GPO wish DFD streaming. Which could be a LOT of fun...

But then it's rumored on the Steinberg forums that HALion3 is coming soon, so you may want to wait and see what that has to offer...
    Alan Lastufka | www.BelaDMedia.com
    Producer/Artistic Design | Content Producer

20 Things

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by Styxx
    If I purchase Sonar 3 studio or producer will I still need the Full Version Kontakt player? I am not quite clear as to what GOS lite calls for to effectively use all the features.

GOS Lite - doesn't use Maestro Tools or the Kontakt Player.

GOS Lite is a Gigasampler library, which can be read by various sample playback engines like HALion, Kontakt, and of course GigaStudio. Most samplers will convert the library, and I think that there's a freeware that plays Giga natively (without conversion) but I'm not sure. Check out http://www.kvr-vst.com and use their search engine.

I don't know what Sonar has to do with this - does it come with some knocked down version of Kontakt? I usually think of the sequencer as COMPLETELY separate from the sound production devices, even though VST has blurred the lines considerably. Let's just all make sure that we're making apples-to-apples comparisons.

Have a good morning all - been testing since 2:30 - good night.
    Houston Haynes - Titan Line Music

Quote Originally Posted by Houston Haynes
    I don't know what Sonar has to do with this - does it come with some knocked down version of Kontakt?
    Sonar 3PE comes with VSampler 3 DXi, which is what Styxx was referring to. VSampler also imports Giga format sounds, and the next upgrade (still in beta) will also read Kontakt and Halion format. Some earlier threads have said that GOS lite will import into VSampler very well.

I've ordered GOS full but it hasn't come yet. I'm hoping it will work with VSampler, since I already have it and I don't want to pay for another sampler if I don't have to. If it doesn't work, I'll just have to break down and buy Kontakt.

Vsampler imports GOS OK

I've been running GOS with Vsampler (I have the full version - not just the one shipped with Sonar3pe) for 2 months and it seems to import the giga files OK

Fred

Smile

Yeah, although I'm back to using GigaStudio 2.54 for GOS Lite, I experimented with VSampler 3.04 dxi and found that it imports very well. However with the version I have, none of the modulation or keyswitching ability of most of the giga files I have translate at all! Even CD-Xtract won't translate them properly.

If you can live with that, the only problem I found in doing it this way is that it puts a heavy load on the Sonar/VSampler setup. You should at least have 1Gb of Ram to try this. The advantages are better sound processing (eq, effects, etc...) once it's in the Sonar domain. Plus it's nice to only open one main app instead of the two required by GigaStudio (sampler+sequencer)

Haven't tried Kontakt for giga import so no information there...

Good Luck,
    Jon

Thumbs up Re: Full Kontakt or Sonar 3?

I originally purchased GOS(Lite) before GPO. I'm using HALion (which imports Giga) and except for some initial confusion on the Maestro tools (which were somewhat confusingly mentioned in the GOS/Lite documentation when they are, in fact, not supplied with the "LITE" version) everything is working fine.

I love my Garritan products (all two of them!)!!

Kev

Re: Full Kontakt or Sonar 3?

I think I am going with Sonar 3. I can update from home studio XL for a third of the cost so it makes it well worth it.
    Thanks for all your information everyone.
    Styxx

Go Back to forum