• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Best motherboard chipset for GigaStudio?

Share/Bookmark

Best motherboard chipset for GigaStudio?

I'm considering ditching my current motherboard, as it's giving me some serious problems with USB. If I were to get a new one, what's considered the most compatible chipset with GigaStudio and its drivers? I think the options for AMD CPUs are SiS, VIA, nForce. Actually, with ASUS's latest motherboards, it looks like I can pick either VIA or nForce. I'm not entirely set on ASUS, but I've always used them (until this last motherboard I got--Epox), and they've been top notch quality.

What? I thought the software market was past that whole "optimized for Pentium" business. I'll never buy Intel's CPUs again, especially when AMD can easily compete and in many cases, outperform it, for a much more affordable price.

Quote Originally Posted by MDesigner
    What? I thought the software market was past that whole "optimized for Pentium" business. I'll never buy Intel's CPUs again, especially when AMD can easily compete and in many cases, outperform it, for a much more affordable price.

Amen to that

Nothing against you, Lee, or Dave..but I don't believe corporations when they tell me their stuff works better with Pentium (or Athlon for that matter). There are always very lucrative partnerships out there (push our product and you will benefit greatly). I'm not saying that Tascam is making that up, or that every company that says a certain CPU gets better results with their software is lying.. but it does happen very often, you have to admit.

I'd rather rely on detailed benchmarks done by unbiased, third parties. Though I don't know how we'd benchmark GS... If there is a performance advantage to using Pentium, I'm pretty sure it's unnoticeable by humans.

I thought I read a correction to the post where whoevever iit was (besides Dave) said GS 3 would be optimized for Intel chips. Is that just my imagination?

(And I have absolutely no opinion or knowledge about Intel vs. AMD.)

The Giga 3 PDF file specifically says; "GigaStudio is a Windows® application that takes advantage of the power of Pentium-compatible processors."

My gut feeling is that this is a marketing mistake, both AMD and Intel CPU's support floating point calculations and I find it hard to believe that Giga 3 would target one CPU anyway. Their core audience is already small enough as it is.

FWIW, I run Giga 2.54 on two of my machines, Athlon processors with MSI boards containing VIA chipsets. No problems here at all.

Honestly, if Giga3 doesnt run under AMD systems I'll eat my shoes and post a photo here to prove it.
    ---------------------------
    - SCA - Sound Studios -
    www.sca-soundstudios.com

Michael Kamen went to Juliard, by the way.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Batzdorf
    Michael Kamen went to Juliard, by the way.
    He also went to the School of Rock.
    - SCA - Sound Studios -
    www.sca-soundstudios.com

Btw,

even if I personally go with AMD, the Pentium 4 is still a bit faster in audio/video application benchmarks (i.e. encoding mp3 etc.) - many applications are optimized to get some perfomance boost when run with SSE2 instructions. Usually these performance differences are not very high though - with comparable processors that is ...

Malte

Re: Best motherboard chipset for GigaStudio?

Hello, how many slots open do you have for hard drives? I can only have 2 HD's(I think) I have asus and I don't know if it's windows but it turns itself off when it starts to use RAM and than it says that it's low on RAM....I have 1GB. Odd

Go Back to forum