• Register
  • Help

Topic: Crackles on audio files on a external usb 2.0 HD

Share/Bookmark

Crackles on audio files on a external usb 2.0 HD

hey folks,
    i have a real serious problem with my seagate barracuda 120 gig usb 2.0 harddisc..

i installed norton a while ago and suddenly it discovered some errors or bad blocks on my external HD.

on this HD i got all my samples and stuff. so after this repair of norton ewqlso didnt find all samples anymore, it said that its moved or could not be found.
    then i formatted the drive and reinstalled the soundfiles back and the problem was gone, but now i have crackles on my new installed audiofiles.

first i thought something is buggy and whn i got stormdrum i had the same, but its definitely my harddisc, i can tell.

now the thing is, how can i get my harddrive back to work correctly. i really dont have the money to buy a new disc and it should be possible somehow to reconstruct it or move the bad blocks away...

do you have any hints, guys ??
    i dont wanna try norton, because it really sucks and i think this was the main cause leading to these errors. so anyone got some tipps ???

thx in advance

hmm i experimented a little bit and i figured out that the pops and clicks on the sample are everytime on a different place ... means the clicks are not always on the same samples. everytime i reboot, the clicks are somewhere else in, for example, the gold library. if i don't reboot or just close the vsti, the clicks stay on the same place.

i really don't know what this problem could be.
    i think it is not the disc but the external usb 2.0 connection, but i really don't have a clue.

maybe you guys know something about that...

thx
    @lex

Arrow

Hi Alex, its a bit of a guess but the first time you ever installed that drive, did it come with its own drivers? Windows will discover it regardless since it is USB, but in some cases, hardware has its own special drivers that will do the job better, despite the job Windows can run it.

My only other thought, did you also completely reinstall Gold? Are the buffer settings different from before?

Regards,

Scott.

Quote Originally Posted by Waywyn
    hmm i experimented a little bit and i figured out that the pops and clicks on the sample are everytime on a different place ... means the clicks are not always on the same samples. everytime i reboot, the clicks are somewhere else in, for example, the gold library. if i don't reboot or just close the vsti, the clicks stay on the same place.

i really don't know what this problem could be.
    i think it is not the disc but the external usb 2.0 connection, but i really don't have a clue.

maybe you guys know something about that...

thx
    @lex
    ---------------------------
    - SCA - Sound Studios -
    www.sca-soundstudios.com
    ---------------------------

hey scott, thx for your reply.

the funny thing is, i connected the external drive to my laptop installed the gold soundfiles and some other stuff and it was totally okay,

so i guess it was the usb or external thing.

so i did the big step and reorganized my whole computer.
    i put the big sample HD into my pc rather than have i external. that would also make it a bit faster. i think it was better to do this step and i saw it as a signal, that something is definitely not okay with having this external drive on my pc. there sould be a solution, but before i search and examine hours and hourse i just reset my machine and put up everything anew.

my last format was not long ago but the HDs with audioprojects and other sample stuff where about 2 or 3 years old

Re: Crackles on audio files on a external usb 2.0 HD

problem solved on the radical way

i completely formatted and installed everything new on my music main computer, rearranged HDs and did a complete new a wel organized setup

i think it was something with the external drive and the usb 2.0 connections of my main pc, because i tested the external drive on my laptop and everything work well, but now, i think everything runs around 30% faster than before ))

Go Back to forum