• Register
  • Help

Topic: My very first (short) experiment with GPO

Share/Bookmark

My very first (short) experiment with GPO

I tried to "assemble" a small Baroque chamber ensemble using:

3 Stradivari solo violins
    3 Stradivari ensemble violins (1, 2 & 3)
    3 solo Violas
    3 ensemble Violas (1,2 & 3)
    3 ensemble Cellos (1, 2 & 3)
    3 esemble Double Bs.

then I played the first six measures from the third movement of Bach's Brandenburg Concerto no. 3 in G to see if the "ensemble maker" works. I think it does. This first trial surely is not the best rendering of Bach's score, but I hope you will enjoy it anyway. I need some practice to successfully play simultaneously keyboard, mod wheel and pedal, but I'm trying to improve my skills. And my english as well: please, be patient... :-)

http://fc.retecivica.milano.it/~robe...oni/BB_3_2.mp3

Chinablu,

This is excellent! For a first trial this is very impressive. I wish it was longer. Would you post more as you work on it. I would be very happy to put this on the GPO MP3 page.

Thanks for posting this.

Gary Garritan

Smile

Thank you, Gary, I'll try to do my best!

I was very interested in the discussion regarding the "solo instruments accumulation" in GPO, as I consider it a very interesting feature. We have been trying to render some other fragments of music from XVII or XVIII Century (Haydn's "Sinfonia Concertante" and similar works), building small chamber orchestras with or without the Basso Continuo (harpsichord) and we got a good instrumental blend because your samples sound... "fat" (I hope this will be an acceptable definition: a couple of your Stradivari solo violin sound great in Vivaldi, for example). Just for fun, I tried also to render in GPO a fragment from the Schubert's sketches for a Tenth Simphony and from Stravinskij's "Firebird", and the results were also very good.

I'm studying orchestration on Casella-Mortari "Technique of the modern Orchestra" (an italian book) and Sammy Nestico's "The complete arranger": I hope I will be able to post some music of mine, soon or later...

Chin@blu(e)

Chinablu,

Welcome to the forum. This is quite good. You have me swaying in my seat. Looking forward to listening to more. If you have any questions about GPO, please don't hesitate to ask them. There are many knowledgeable people here who will be glad to help. Again welcome.

Karl

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Karl Garrett

Chinablu,

Welcome to the forum. This is quite good. You have me swaying in my seat. Looking forward to listening to more. If you have any questions about GPO, please don't hesitate to ask them. There are many knowledgeable people here who will be glad to help. Again welcome.

Karl
    Thank you, Karl, this is a lovely forum, with excellent music and nice people. I liked a lot a piece called "Second Meditation", and I would like also to be the Invisible Man and being at Dan Powers' studio as he plays Debussy's "Sketchbook", to look at him while he works with GPO: there is a lot to learn from others, so thank you again for your warm welcome!

Go Back to forum