• Register
  • Help

Topic: Online film scoring courses + Paul Gilreath's book.

Share/Bookmark

Online film scoring courses + Paul Gilreath's book.

Hi all,

There seems to be a great many courses run elsewhere in the world on film scoring etc, but none here in Melbourne Australia (or am I missing something?). Are there any colleges/institution that offers online film scoring classes? I am interested.

Also, are there any news on the release of Paul Gilreath's book "The Guide to Midi Orchestration"?

Thanks.

meeehoon

Nothing since the last update on his page back in February. I'm wondering now if it will ever show. I was really looking forward to getting it too. Maybe it was delayed again because of all the new libraries and Giga 3?

Arrow

Hi Jun, I think Berklee offers online courses, so does Truspec for that matter.

www.berkleemusic.com

www.truespec.com

Scott.
    ---------------------------
    - SCA - Sound Studios -
    www.sca-soundstudios.com
    ---------------------------

I found this course on the web recently: http://www.musicforthemedia.com/mftm...e/overview.htm

Here is a statement from www.musicworks-atlanta.com concerning the delayed release of "The Guide to MIDI Orchestration":

"I have been asked by Paul to post this information on the website so that all of you who are waiting for the book might know where we stand. As noted in the 12/18/03 update, Paul's wife has been sick throughout her pregnancy. Three weeks ago, she was hospitalized for a week. Though she is doing better, but Paul has been pulled away from the final few days of pre-production work we still have to do. Many of you have emailed us with your thoughts and prayers and we certainly appreciate it. Please know that we are within days of going to press, but Paul's personal situation certainly takes precedence over the book. We thank you again for your continued patience and we hope to be able to let you know a timeframe shortly."

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by meeehoon
    Hi all,

There seems to be a great many courses run elsewhere in the world on film scoring etc, but none here in Melbourne Australia (or am I missing something?). Are there any colleges/institution that offers online film scoring classes? I am interested.

Also, are there any news on the release of Paul Gilreath's book "The Guide to Midi Orchestration"?

Thanks.

meeehoon
    We have lots of materials at TrueSpec. Please check out the new thread on for our Writing For Strings Course. Also, we have quite a few surprises coming in the next few weeks, especially for those who want to study composition.

Thanks guys!

Yeh, I saw the message on Paul's webpage... I sincerely pray that Mrs Gilreath have a speedy recovery and a successful childbirth...

Will check out the contents at Truespec and Berklee!

meeehoon

[QUOTE=meeehoon]Hi all,

Hi meeehoon
    I'm teaching film scoring at Box Hill Tafe here in Melbourne. I believe the VCA has classes as does the film & Television school in Sydney. Msg me if you have any questions.

Brett

My sincere thanks for the kind words regarding my wife and our upcoming delivery. Channie is going into the hospital to be induced on Friday, the 11th and we are very much looking forward to welcoming our new little girl into the world.

In regards to the book, I regret the delays that have occurred with this edition. Due to the huge changes in sampling technology over the past few years, what started out as a new edition became a total rewrite. The new book is a 600-page tutorial that we are very proud of. We have had so much support from software and library developers, independent producers and composers who have all helped with this project. We have also had hundreds of interested individuals register and wait patiently, only to see delay after delay.

The book presents a tremendous amount of information for all levels of composer and orchestrator. It was edited by two excellent writers-- Omar Torres, a gifted composer and technical wizard who used to work for Native Instruments (and who is on just about every major beta team around) and the legendary Jim Aikin.

I am proud to say that the book is completed and is currently being printed. We had been promised that our new website (with updated information) would be up and running 2 weeks ago, but this too has been delayed (anybody know a great web designer? Seriously!) So stay tuned-- we'll be advertising on N.S. so look for our banner very soon.

All my best and again, thanks for the well wishes.

Paul Gilreath
    MusicWorks Atlanta

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Gilreath
    My sincere thanks for the kind words regarding my wife and our upcoming delivery. Channie is going into the hospital to be induced on Friday, the 11th and we are very much looking forward to welcoming our new little girl into the world.
    Our prayers are with you and Channie. My birthday is the 12th, so it must be a good time to be born. (or is it?) Looking forward to seeing the new book!

Paul : Fantastic news! And all the best on Friday 11th!!! This year according to the Chinese Calender is the year of the Monkey, which is THE BEST year to have children!!! Well done and congrats in advance!!!

Brett : You are joking!!! I am definitely up to the Box Hill Tafe to check out the course!!! Heck, I am in Burwood (next to Deakin) which is just 3 mins drive to the TAFE!!! HAARRDDCCOORREE!!! OVER THE MOON!!!!

meeehoon

Go Back to forum