• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Topic: Kirk Hunter Orchestra

Share/Bookmark

Kirk Hunter Orchestra

I've just come across this:

http://www.kirkhunterstudios.com/sbw.html

Anybody been beta-testing for it?. I'd love to know what it sounds like.

He hasn't made any official announcement, don't think we were supposed to see this...

Even if someone is beta testing, they wouldn't be allowed to talk about it until the library ships.
    Alan Lastufka | www.BelaDMedia.com
    Producer/Artistic Design | Content Producer

20 Things

andyt

wow

this looks like great value ... wonder what the timescales are ?

Is all the content new ?
    No re-use of existing sample library material ?

This looks like a very impressive and enticing package, especially at that pricepoint.
    It’s good to read that a lot of attention has been paid to the ‘ease of use’ component.
    I don’t see any other libraries offered anymore on the website apart from the solo strings, so I guess some of the existing material is recycled into the orchestral package?

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by andyt
    this looks like great value ... wonder what the timescales are ?

Is all the content new ?
    No re-use of existing sample library material ?
    It says at his site that all material is brand new.
    Very nice pricing.

Hopefully, the recordings were done by a great sound engineer. I love KH products, number or articulations ...etc but the recording is usually the weakest part of his products. I wish I could get the KH articulations with the EWQLSO sound !

Also, the amount of string articulations listed is limited.

Nonetheless, at this price, it will definetely be worth looking into.

Thank you for giving us another good orchestral choice

I agree Patrick. Actually, it seems that its destined to go head to head with EWQLSO Gold at that price level.

One more orchestral library on the market can only be a good thing.
    Trev Parks

This is pretty exciting. Interesting price point too. It's actually the same price as the original string library...but this is with brass and winds. I hope some demos can be posted soon. I've always liked the Kirk Hunter strings....really good especially for pop stuff when combined with VSL perf set. I'm really curious as to how these new strings sound. More choices are always good for us. Interesting point too....the library is not locked into a virtual instrument...if you ask me, that's pretty refreshing to see

andyt
    Developing a complete orchestral library must require an enourmous initial outlay.

I'm assuming that Kirk hasn't got such a big organisations, and deep pockets, behind him as some of the other library producers .... so I'm wondering if Kirk will be using the advance orders to fund completion of the strigs section, then the revenues from Strings to fund the production of the wind and brass sections.

If the past is anything to go by, Kirk will develop and release this library one section at a time, which makes very good business sense. (The brass and winds probably haven't been started yet.)

Good luck .... can't wait to hear it.
    I might buy the strings for the solo instruments alone.

Quote Originally Posted by T Parks
    I've just come across this:

http://www.kirkhunterstudios.com/sbw.html

Anybody been beta-testing for it?. I'd love to know what it sounds like.
    I haven't beta tested it, but I've heard large parts of it. First, it's all new material and second, it sounds excellent. To keep the price down, Kirk is going direct (including doing all the shipping!). There are plans to make library available on warranteed hard drives, IDE and Firewire/USB, for an extra fee. But this is still being worked out.

The orchestra is organized in two parts, close mic'ed and far mic'ed. You're getting a complete string section including muted/unmuted, full strings, chamber strings for all sections except for the basses (for smaller ensembles and divisi writing). For brass, you get full brass, solo, muted/unmuted, and newly recorded ensembles. Similar for the woods. Each library section is shipping roughly 4-6 weeks apart.

What's unique about this library, besides the incredible value pricing and working being done by ONE MAN (way to go, Kirk!), is that this is the first library for GigaStudio with close and far mic'ed instruments.

A couple of things I can say before he gets his demos up, is that the strings have a rich quality. And also, you will need reverb to touch and shape up the final sound.

Also, it's very quick and easy to use. For example, nearly all the instruments are programmed so that mod wheel controls volume and aftertouch controls vibrato. The naming conventions are also very simple, for example 24Vn Leg.

Many of the instruments have from four (4) to eight (8) layers from pp to fff. Velocity controlled instruments allow you to "play" the crescendo and diminuendo.

Overall, I think this is a great library, and because of its price, one we're recommending to our Writing For Strings/LMB members.

Quote Originally Posted by andyt
    Developing a complete orchestral library must require an enourmous initial outlay.

I'm assuming that Kirk hasn't got such a big organisations, and deep pockets, behind him as some of the other library producers .... so I'm wondering if Kirk will be using the advance orders to fund completion of the strigs section, then the revenues from Strings to fund the production of the wind and brass sections.

If the past is anything to go by, Kirk will develop and release this library one section at a time, which makes very good business sense. (The brass and winds probably haven't been started yet.)

Good luck .... can't wait to hear it.
    I might buy the strings for the solo instruments alone.
    I believe you're right, Andy.

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast