• Register
  • Help

Topic: "Alaska" by Hummie Mann

Orcas Island

Thumbs up "Alaska" by Hummie Mann

Here is an excerpt of "Alaska" composed by Hummie Mann. Ged Brockie performed the "GPO realization".

All of the instrumentation for the entire piece was from Personal Orchestra.

Hummie Mann is a two-time Emmy Award Winning Film and TV composer.Feature Film Credits include: Mel Brook's 'Robin Hood: Men in Tights', upcoming Capella Film’s “After the Rain”, Peter Yates' “Year of the Comet”, 'Dracula Dead and Loving It', 'Thomas and the Magic Railroad', 'Cyberworld 3D' (IMAX) and 'Falltime'. TV Credits include: 'P.T. Barnum' (mini-series), 'In Cold Blood' (mini-series), 'The Second Civil War' (HBO) and 'First Do No Harm' (CBS). Hummie co-produced the Marc Shaiman scores for such hits as “Sleepless in Seattle”, “A Few Good Men” and “Mr. Saturday Night”, and both orchestrated and conducted the Shaiman scores for “City Slickers” and “The Addams Family”. His orchestrations can also heard in such films as “Speechless”, “Addams FamilyValues”, “Misery”, “Sister Act”, “Dying Young”, and “For the Boys” and he co-arranged the song “Places That Belong to You“ for Barbra Streisand's “Prince of Tides” soundtrack album. One of Hummie's Emmy Awards was for arranging Billy Crystal's opening number for the “1992 Academy Awards”. In theatre, Hummie has also arranged material for Debbie Reynolds' tour of “The Unsinkable Molly Brown” and created new arrangements for Pia Zadora in “Funny Girl”, and has arranged music for various other stage productions including “Babes in Toyland”, “Kiss Me Kate”, “The Merry Widow” and Cloris Leachman's “Perfectly Frank”. Hummie is also a magna cum laude graduate of Berklee College of Music. Besides his busy composing career, he is also the principal instructor of the Pacific Northwest Film Scoring Program, a board member and founding president of the Seattle Composers Alliance and is a governor of the Northwest Chapter of the National Academy of Recording Arts and Sciences. You can visit Hummie's website at: http://www.hummiemann.com.

Ged Brockie is a world-class acoustic guitarist and composer. He has recorded of three releases (two with SGQ - Scottish Guitar Quartet), with three new releases due out this year, Ged is also the driving force behind the Edinburgh International Summer Jazz School and Circular Records (http://www.circular-records.com/public/). Ged is a member of the Scottish Guitar Quartet comprising four of Scotland's leading acoustic guitarist-composers. Ged has worked at all levels of music education within Scotland from school to University level and will be teaching "Creating Orchestral Simulations using the Garritan Personal Orchestra" this Summer at the Pacific Northwest Film Scoring Program's European program in Edinburgh, Scotland (see http://www.pnwfilmmusic.com).

Thanks Hummie and Ged!

Gary Garritan

[PS: Don't worry about the GPO Orchestration Competition - Hummie is disqualified from the Competition since he is one of the judges ]

West Seneca, NY
    "[PS: Don't worry about the GPO Orchestration Competition - Hummie is disqualified from the Competition since he is one of the judges ]"

Wow! I think I will take the trip just to meet Mr. Mann! Who else is judging?

Another WOW - Check out the program - Pacific Northwest Film Scoring Program - in the link. Wish I was in my 20's!

Go Back to forum