• Register
  • Help

Topic: Other Styles Of Music

Share/Bookmark

Question Other Styles Of Music

Hi folk,
    Anyone know of a good set of Horns to do some Funk, Big Band or R&B? (Saxes will be important for the Big band stuff.)
    The guys on the VSL forum seem to focus mainly of Orchestral and Film stuff.
    Thanx.

Quote Originally Posted by GTBannah
    Hi folk,
    Anyone know of a good set of Horns to do some Funk, Big Band or R&B? (Saxes will be important for the Big band stuff.)
    The guys on the VSL forum seem to focus mainly of Orchestral and Film stuff.
    Thanx.
    The best I've found is Quantum Leap Brass. Search through the Sample Library Forum for QLB and you'll find lots of info.

Here's my quick review: The player's performances are fantastic, and the recorded sound is great. Lots of rips, falls and doits, which work well for jazzier styles. Generally only one or two velocity layers, which is the lib's biggest downfall. It includes everything you need for big band (trumpets, saxes, bones, even tuba) except the drums, bass and piano.

I keep hearing that Garritan will release a big band version of GPO. My feeling is that you can't get there with tricky programming alone. You need the articulations. Maybe Gary will include lots of MIDI phrases that we can use in lieu of articulations. It may have better legato than QLB though, and maybe more dynamic range. If it's really good it will more likely compliment QLB than replace it. The QLB sub-phrases are really killer.

There are also sax libs from Bigga Gigga and VSL. Based on the demos, I prefer the legato results that VSL's perfromance tool can offer, but the style is a bit laid back.

But for me QLB is the go-to lib for pop/R&B/bigband/jazz horn sections. Maybe somebody will release a lib that will make it obsolete, but that lib hasn't seen the light of day as of yet.

-Jon Fairhurst

Go Back to forum