• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: The Stone King (first half almost 5 min.)

Share/Bookmark

The Stone King (first half almost 6 min.)

So, I've completed the first half of my "Stone King" project. Let me know what you think (critiques most definitely welcome). I've been using Finale 2003a for the writing as well as playback (and it's weird: the snare tends to not have as crisp of a playback as the other instruments--lots of lagging).

You can download The Stone King here in WMA format (I use WMA because the file size is smaller than MP3).

I can also provide a link to the written score if any of you'd like to look at it.
    C. Foster Payne
    Amateur Composer/Orchestrator
    http://FosterPayne.com/default.aspx

On a Mac here, can't hear anything.

Re: The Stone King (first half almost 5 min.)

Okay... the MP3 version is now available.
    C. Foster Payne

Very good stuff. I really enjoyed it. Didn't even notice it was 5 minutes long.

Hi FossMan,

very nice work. The Composition for itself is really done well. But I guess the crossings of the high strings which start at 1:10 are very hard. Maybe you can make your musicians to play these parts a bit smoother

But in general a good and effective piece of music. Keep it up.

Greetz,

Blackster

FossMan,

What an epic work and quite an undertaking. To do this all in a notation program is daunting. I am always amazed by the notation work submitted because of the dedication and worked required.

You may want to experiment with the Ambience reverb in GPO Studio and hear what the composition would sound like in a larger space. If you want I could try sending a custom impulse for you to apply.

Thanks for submitting this. I enjoyed it very much and would like to include it on the GPO site.

Gary Garritan

PS: I see your at Lamont School of Music at the University of Denver. Do you know Dr. David R. Montano, D.M.A. Assoc. Professor of Music (also a GPO user)?

Quote Originally Posted by Garritan
    If you want I could try sending of apply a custom impulse.
    Um... I'm sorry, Gary, but you could you restate that? I couldn't quite make it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Garritan
    PS: I see your at Lamont School of Music at the University of Denver. Do you know Dr. David R. Montano, D.M.A. Assoc. Professor of Music (also a GPO user)?
    Wow, I did not know he was a GPO user. I'll be taking piano from him next year (or at least from one of his GTAs). Cool it'll give us something else to talk about!

As for puting the piece up on your demo page, that's cool, but let's wait until I finish the piece. I have another theme I'd like to develop first. Thanks.
    C. Foster Payne

Alrighty, the piece is now nearly six minutes in length and is truly at the half-way point.
    C. Foster Payne

Quote Originally Posted by FossMan
    Alrighty, the piece is now nearly six minutes in length and is truly at the half-way point.
    Very neat. I like the beginning very much(after the percussive entrance). Its soft texture and use of chord colors is very pretty. Will await for the finished version
    Nicole Davis

Thumbs up Re: The Stone King (first half almost 5 min.)

What a wonderful landscape you've created with this piece! I love the harmonic languaged you used, it lends quite a bit of color to the orchestration.

I think my only complaint about it so far is this recurring rhythmic pattern that shows up in several variations (2:55, 4:17, 4:40, 5:37). I like the rhythm itself. It's different, and I am sure that live players could pull it off and make it sound effortless, but I think the samples aren't really purveying your intentions accurately. I think that "thinning out" the pattern itself will make it sound less strained and you won't lose the concept of the pattern itself. Also it could be the fact that you're using Finale and that's rather limited when it comes to adjusting velocities (last I remember anyways...it's been ages since I've used it! :P)

For the record, I thought the melodic variation at 3:31 was reallllly good

Excellent job!

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast