• Register
  • Help

Topic: GigaSampler 64 + Logic Audio Platinum

Share/Bookmark

GigaSampler 64 + Logic Audio Platinum

I\'m thinking about buying GigaSampler 64 and I have a few questions about running it alongside Logic Audio Platinum.

My setup is as follows:

AMD T-Bird 900MHz
    Asus A7V Mobo (VIA KT-133 Chipset)
    512MB PC-133 RAM
    IBM DeskStar 60GXP 40GB (samples only)
    IBM DeskStar 75GXP 45GB (OS+software)
    Terratec EWS88 MT soundcard
    Win98SE (installed with Win98lite)
    Midiman USB Midisport 4x4 midi interface
    Midi keyboard controller

1. Is my system powerful enough to run both GS and Logic smoothly at the same time? I\'ll be wanting to trigger samples loaded into GS from within Logic.

2. Does the audio output of GS appear in the Logic mixer? Can I apply plugins and effects just as I would with a signal from an external sound module? And then mix the GS track with other audio tracks and bounce the whole mix into a wav file?

Thanks for clearing this up for me.

Re: GigaSampler 64 + Logic Audio Platinum

First an advice: buy GigaStudio (160).
    GigaSampler is actually not a separate version, it is the precursor to GigaStudio. So, there won\'t be any updates anymore for GS (that\'s an assumption, anyone: please correct me if I\'m wrong). Also, Gst provides more voices on the same hardware than GS (better optimized) and has lots of additional features over GS.

The specs of your setup are IMO really OK for running both apps simultaneously. I\'m not familiar with the exact speed comparison between Intel and AMD, but sounds like my setup, but somewhat faster CPU.

I am running GigaStudio 160 and Logic 4.7 Gold on an Intel P-III at 550 Mhz, with 768 Mb ram. 3 or 4 HD\'s with separate UDMA 66 PCI interface. Mobo is Asus P3B-F.

This machine can run 90-100 voices without clicks and record them via Gst capture or on separate track in Logic simultaneously.

As stated elsewhere I have never did real tests trying to get higher polyphony.
    A good test is to load GigaPiano and bang the keyboard with the sustain pedal down.

I\'d like to encourage you to browse and search older topics on this forum. There is a hige amount of tips, trick, alerts, experiences, etc to be found. Especially also on required PC power. It\'s more about HD access time and bandwidth than sheer CPU power, for instance.

Success!

------------------
    peter e. roos
    personal site www.xs4all.nl/~deltaw
    company site www.deltaworks.com

Now for your second question:

GigaS will typically play on one or more stereo outputs of your soundcard. You can send that for instance to an external mixer (with EQ, verb, etc) and get the analog or digital mix back into the sound card\'s main input channels. Kind of external loop.

Within Logic, the program that actually is driving GigaS, you can very easily record this mix or submix onto one or more audiotracks. Other tracks can be added the same way from your mixer, for example for recording live instruments. Ofcourse you will need to find your own preferred working methods and hardware and software setup. Once it works this can be a snap.

Another typical approach is to keep mixes and submixes entirely within the computer and thus the digital domain. For basic setups like mine this is often the method that gives the best sound quality. GigaS you can \"capture\" the sounds it is playing, typically to its first stereo output channel. This means GS creates a Wave file while your sequencer is driving GS. You can import such captured audio files into Logic audio tracks and align them to match your sequencing tracks. This is typically done do create submixes of sections of say 4-16 measures. If you try to align longer sections, you may run into syncing and tempo problems, depending on your setup.

Within Logic you can mix audio tracks with Wave files quite accurately and apply all kinds of processing (EQ, verb, compression). This is IMO a better approach that to try to use the Gst plugins.

I actually use both methods. During composing/arranging I use an external analog mixer with a Yamaha reverb. When I want a good mix, I capture either the entire piece or subsections and mix it within Logic. The result has a lot more openness than an analog recording (I have a basic Beringer mixer, which accounts for this difference).

Since the audio files within Logic are plain, external Wave files, you can also process them independently within a good 2-track editor, like SoundForge. This way you can EQ, maximize and add ambience per submix. Make sure not to delete parts, otherwise you can\'t finish the mix within Logic.

BTW, I mainly experiment with orchestral samples and use an orchestral setup with lots of tracks in Logic. If you do other types of music, an entire different approach of recording and mixing may prove to work better.

Cheers,

Peter

Thanks Peter! That\'s exactly what I wanted to know.

Go Back to forum