• Register
  • Help

Topic: GPO Strings

Share/Bookmark

Red face GPO Strings

I am using the version of Overture that came with GPO to create a musical score which I have exported as a MIDI file. I then imported that file into Logic, and am using GPO string sections as my plug-ins--my goal is to have a string orchestra consisting of Violin (1,2) Viola and Cello sections. My main problem is this: I can't find a string plug-in that will play the composition correctly. I have a broad range of note values--from very fast notes to slow ones. When I use, for example, the Short Bow GPO plug in, the playing is anything but legato during sections that are to be sustained! And if I use a more sustained GPO plug-in like Sus+Short, I get a massive increase in volume during the playing of longer notes, and yet any short notes playing at the same time are much softer. How can I best accomplish connecting the notes into a smooth legato string orchestra which sounds natural without unnatural and grandiose volume changes??

Randy

Re: GPO Strings

Well don't forget that you have control over the volume swells of the passages with the mod-wheel control. Also in Overture, if you want legato passages you need to put a slur over the passage, which should activate the sustain pedal (since legato is controlled by the sustain pedal midi control.)

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Burrell
    Well don't forget that you have control over the volume swells of the passages with the mod-wheel control. Also in Overture, if you want legato passages you need to put a slur over the passage, which should activate the sustain pedal (since legato is controlled by the sustain pedal midi control.)
    How do you use the mod-wheel control with something you've created in Overture?

Quote Originally Posted by gardibolt
    How do you use the mod-wheel control with something you've created in Overture?
    In your sequencer you can draw in the mod wheel data using CC1.
    I don't use Logic, so I don't know the specific steps, but I'm sure you should find it in your midi editing "toolbox."

Rich
    Richard Galbraith

Go Back to forum