• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Harry Potter 3

Share/Bookmark

Harry Potter 3

Got to see HP 3 today - totally rocked! A new director makes a huge difference and really freshened up the series - my favorite of the 3 so far. I also think this is Williams best score out of the three as well - freakin' genius!

Re: Harry Potter 3

I'll see it tomorrow, can't wait!

Just saw it. I totally agree. Listen for the flute during the bird flight. So much more subtlety in this score.

yes it had wonderful moments, but the medieval bits were a suprise... still not sure about them. harpsichords??? recorders?? sounded a little like Blackadder!!!

The movie though - finally a convincing HP flick! Cuaron is very talented

Quote Originally Posted by bouche
    still not sure about them. harpsichords??? recorders?? sounded a little like Blackadder!!!
    That was EXACTLY what I was thinking!. Anyway, I really enjoyed the film and the music worked well with it.
    Trev Parks

Cool Re: Harry Potter 3

Quote Originally Posted by One Track Music
    Just saw it. I totally agree. Listen for the flute during the bird flight. So much more subtlety in this score.

I'll be seeing it tonight. Keep my ears open for that.

The biggest surprise for me was the zany jazz during the Knight Bus scene. They used some jazz styles in a couple other places as well. It shows that they were willing to take some risk. Yes!

I didn't care so much for the colorization. The pushed whites reminded me more of the Mexico scenes in Traffic than of a haunted castle. But again, it was nice to see them take some risk.

Overall it was entertaining and nicely done - with some unexpected flavors.

I thought the film sucked. The casting was totally at odds with the way I'd envisioned all the characters, except Madame Trelawney. But I agree that JW was at his best. I particularly loved the jazz number for the spectral bus. It was incredibly close to the final movement of John Adam's Chamber Concerto, which is just one of my favourite pieces of all time.

I can only hope Chris Columbus takes back over the reins in future.

Quote Originally Posted by Pingu
    The casting was totally at odds with the way I'd envisioned all the characters, except Madame Trelawney...
    But Pingu, the only other new characters were Lupin, Black and Pettigrew. I can see how you might not like Lupin, but I doubt that many could play Black as well as Oldman, and the actor who played Pettigrew was certainly rat-like and only briefly on screen. All of the other major characters were cast during the Columbus reign.

I see how one can take issue with Cuaron's direction, but not with his casting - except maybe for Lupin (who I thought was pretty solid - especially with the scars).

Saw it yesterday, and felt it was as good as the first two in its own way. Cuaron added some dark humor and a bit more general angst, which was interesting. Some major explanations were left out, obviously for the sake of time (what else is new?), but curious nonetheless. And the score was brilliant and different in response to the different look and feel Cuaron added. Williams is not a one-trick pony. I agree that the flute solo for the bird was brilliant. (did I say "brilliant" again?) Interesting about the harpsichord---during the movie my five year old asked specifically what that instrument was. Guess we don't listen to enough concerti grosso around here.

Go Back to forum