• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: New GPO string demo

Share/Bookmark

GPO Strings Demo

I've been searching for a GPO string demo to do and happened upon this:

Khachaturian: Gayane's Adagio

Although likely not everyone's cup of tea, it is nonetheless a great vehicle for learning to shape independent legato string melodies in GPO.

The piece starts with solo celli; then the 1st and 2nd violins take over with intertwining lines. The final few measures add violas.

The entire piece runs in one Kontakt instance:

Violins 1 Sus+Short
    Violins 2 Sus+Short
    Violas Sustain+Short
    Cellos Sustain+Short
    Cellos Pizzicato
    Basses Pizzicato
    Chromatic Harp 1
    Timpani

Only one technical problem was encountered: the Cellos Sus+Short note Ab4 (at the top of the range) make a "chirping sound" shortly after the attack. Mostly, it's not noticable unless the note is triggered with a lot of modulation (as towards the end of the celli solo in this example).

The extra-long reverb is intentional, as a resonant, yet distant, floating effect was desired.

Re: GPO Strings Demo

That's very relaxing Darwin!

Re: New GPO string demo

Utterly convincing realization! Very professional-sounding. The sense of space was excellent--what reverb did you use for this?

Yikes, two Dans!

DPDAN,

It's funny you should say that. I've been consciously trying to relax (if that's even possible ) as much as possible lately, so I must have subconsciously selected this bit to work on. In retrospect, I, too, find the music very relaxing.

danveach,

Thanks! I'm using the GPO-bundled Ambience reverb with the reverb time stretched way out.

DarwinKopp ,

If your goal was to shape independent legato string melodies in GPO, you certainly succeeded. I like how the lines interweave in the warp and woof of the floating textures you created. Excellent string orchestration.

You were also successful in acheiving a "resonant, yet distant, floating effect" just like a floating spacecraft. Few know that Aram Khachaturian's "Gayaneh Ballet Suite" was featured in Stanley Kubrick's "2001:A Space Oddysey" (the scenes when camera shows the Discovery outer space. I seem to recall another 2001: A Space Odessey selection here recently ). Khachaturian,he was at first denounced by the Central Committee of the Communist Party for "bourgeouis experimentation" with his music. Later the Party reversed the denunciation and Khachaturian become one of the Soviet Union's most respected composers and a voice for artistic freedom in the post-Stalinist era. Gayane's appearance in the 2001 movie coincided with Khachaturian's first visit to America as conductor in 1968. Hope you don't mind the history lesson.

Thanks for posting this. It sure is relaxing.

Gary Garritan

Legal Note: I'm not sure if I can post this on the GPO Demo page due to a rather unique copyright issue. Khachaturian's music was public domain until 1995 when a World Trade Organization treaty (the Uruguay Round) restored copyright to the music of several Eastern European composers, including Khachaturian, and are less available. It will probably take several years for all the changes in status of the many affected works to become clearer.

Quote Originally Posted by Garritan
    DarwinKopp ,

If your goal was to shape independent legato string melodies in GPO, you certainly succeeded. I like how the lines interweave in the warp and woof of the floating textures you created. Excellent string orchestration.

You were also successful in acheiving a "resonant, yet distant, floating effect" just like a floating spacecraft. Few know that Aram Khachaturian's "Gayaneh Ballet Suite" was featured in Stanley Kubrick's "2001:A Space Oddysey" (the scenes when camera shows the Discovery outer space. I seem to recall another 2001: A Space Odessey selection here recently ). Khachaturian,he was at first denounced by the Central Committee of the Communist Party for "bourgeouis experimentation" with his music. Later the Party reversed the denunciation and Khachaturian become one of the Soviet Union's most respected composers and a voice for artistic freedom in the post-Stalinist era. Gayane's appearance in the 2001 movie coincided with Khachaturian's first visit to America as conductor in 1968. Hope you don't mind the history lesson.

Thanks for posting this. It sure is relaxing.

Gary Garritan

Legal Note: I'm not sure if I can post this on the GPO Demo page due to a rather unique copyright issue. Khachaturian's music was public domain until 1995 when a World Trade Organization treaty (the Uruguay Round) restored copyright to the music of several Eastern European composers, including Khachaturian, and are less available. It will probably take several years for all the changes in status of the many affected works to become clearer.
    Gary,

Thanks for the background on Khachaturian. I'm a huge fan of his work. May all "Central Committees" worldwide suffer a thousand boils.

I'm posting this for collaborative consultation purposes only. Still, I assumed the work was public domain because I'm actually working from a Kalmus miniature score I purchased several years ago. (I believe the music underlying most of Kalmus' miniature score catalog is public domain, but I may be wrong on this point). The changes in copyright status are quite suprising, and I'm even more suprised you are up to date on those changes!

If it becomes necessary, please pull the topic asap, and I'll shut down the link as well. Thanks for listening!

DarwinKopp,

It is unclear about the status. Regardless, your use for education purposes could be considered "Fair Use". Having it on a commercial site would be different. Luckily, the Soviet "Central Committee" is no more.

Gary Garritan

I have sadly to say that I have never heard this piece. Im stuck in the middle ages I guess The music itself is almost hard to define(obviously you can pick out the intervals ect, but the tonality is obscured), but the weaving of the string lines is actually very relaxing. Good work, im interested in hearing the original.
    Nicole Davis

Quote Originally Posted by DarwinKopp
    I've been searching for a GPO string demo to do and happened upon this:

Khachaturian: Gayane's Adagio

Although likely not everyone's cup of tea, it is nonetheless a great vehicle for learning to shape independent legato string melodies in GPO.

The piece starts with solo celli; then the 1st and 2nd violins take over with intertwining lines. The final few measures add violas.

The entire piece runs in one Kontakt instance:

Violins 1 Sus+Short
    Violins 2 Sus+Short
    Violas Sustain+Short
    Cellos Sustain+Short
    Cellos Pizzicato
    Basses Pizzicato
    Chromatic Harp 1
    Timpani

Only one technical problem was encountered: the Cellos Sus+Short note Ab4 (at the top of the range) make a "chirping sound" shortly after the attack. Mostly, it's not noticable unless the note is triggered with a lot of modulation (as towards the end of the celli solo in this example).

The extra-long reverb is intentional, as a resonant, yet distant, floating effect was desired.
    Dan, as you predicted, I'm one of those who probably err on the side of the communist denunciation! The only Khachaturian I really know was a piece I practised, ad nauseum, for my piano grade 4!! I played it so much I started to suffer from the overplaying syndrome where I started to like it.

I haven't heard the original but the early part of the (solo) legato playing sounded slightly stilted to my ears...... Perhaps ramp in the sounds or overlap the notes!....I don't know.

Cheers

Frank

[QUOTE= I started to suffer from the overplaying syndrome where I started to like it.

Frank[/QUOTE]
    Funny I remember Rimsky saying about Debussy, Don't listen to much to Debussy or you will begin to like it. Something like that anyway. Cant remember the exact quote off hand.
    Nicole Davis

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast