• Register
  • Help

Topic: Will Release Trigger work in this case?

Share/Bookmark

Will Release Trigger work in this case?

I have an Oberheim Matrix12 with a gorgeous sound I'd like to sample for use in GS.

The sound is like a shimmering bell. It has a fairly sharp attack, then begins a slow decay....about 7 seconds... to it's hold amplitude . If the key continues to be held down, the sound remains at this intermediate amplitude and, even though there is a fair amount of phasing going on, it is loopable.

When the key is released, it sounds as if a low pass filter is progressively applied to the sound over a period of 1/2 second.... causing a moderate attenuation of the highs in the sound. After that, the sound decays into inaudibilty in a matter of about 7 or 8 seconds.

I've been thinking that I could capture this sound by using the initial portion of the sample (up to the key release)... for the start of the sound, and then using the portion when the key is released as a sample triggered by the release trigger.

I have a feeling this might not work, because the sound is fading over the first 7 or 8 seconds. Since my release sample will have a certain amplitude, how can I ensure that there isn't a "bump" when I the release trigger sample kicks in.
    If I release a key after a short period of time, the release sample will seem to be too quiet, since I would probably have played a fairly long note when sampling (and the sound is probably 1/2 it's original amplitude when I release the key).

Is there a way to cross-fade between the end of an initial sample and the beginning of a release sample?

I would think recording a piano has a similar problem if release samples are used.
    Any help would be much appreciated. I think I could spend a long time spinning my wheels on this one and get nowhere.
    Gabriel

Re: Will Release Trigger work in this case?

That is a problem that is addressed in Kontakt and Giga 3.0. They both have tools to follow the volume over time and release at the proper volume level. (Kontakt, you draw an approximation of the sustain wave form, Giga 3.0, it follows the volume)

For now, in Giga, I would simply put the Mod Wheel or some other handy midi controller to the attenuation of the release trigger. Then you can at least manually control the volume. You can set it play back softly with the mod wheel all the way forward for example (using attenuation control threshold) but then play loud as hell with the mod wheel back and anything in between.

Cheers
    Dave

Thanks Dave,
    For your cogent answer. Don't know yet if I'll move over to 3.0. After much time spent getting Giga to be stable, massaging libraries, putting together racks of samplers and effects, and tying them all together with a controller of my own design, it may just be time to be happy with what I have and actually make some music with it. Giga's not perfect but it's terrific.
    Gabriel

Quote Originally Posted by David Govett
    That is a problem that is addressed in Kontakt and Giga 3.0. They both have tools to follow the volume over time and release at the proper volume level. (Kontakt, you draw an approximation of the sustain wave form, Giga 3.0, it follows the volume

Cheers
    Dave
    I think there's a function for this in HALion 2 also, but I could be wrong.
    Worra
    SampleTekk

Arf, arf, arf...

Glad to hear Kontakt has this feature, I just ordered it a couple days ago, and it should prove to be very useful... thanks.
    Alan Lastufka | www.BelaDMedia.com
    Producer/Artistic Design | Content Producer

20 Things

Quote Originally Posted by David Govett
    That is a problem that is addressed in Kontakt and Giga 3.0. They both have tools to follow the volume over time and release at the proper volume level. (Kontakt, you draw an approximation of the sustain wave form, Giga 3.0, it follows the volume)

For now, in Giga, I would simply put the Mod Wheel or some other handy midi controller to the attenuation of the release trigger. Then you can at least manually control the volume. You can set it play back softly with the mod wheel all the way forward for example (using attenuation control threshold) but then play loud as hell with the mod wheel back and anything in between.

Cheers
    Dave
    YAY, They got the envelope follower right!!!!, any other things a geek like me would like Dave? , will the envelope follower also switch release samples for me?

Say I record for release trigger dynamics, and it decays over time, will it switch to a softer release trigger as well? or only volume? I've been thinking of building an AMP script to do this for me when it comes out, but if its done already then....KICK BUTT!
    Operation Mindcrime 2, in stores now.
    or go here...
    The Digital Bitphonic Orchestra
    -Ashif "Ash" Hakik

"Say I record for release trigger dynamics, and it decays over time, will it switch to a softer release trigger as well?"

Just the sample volume wich is an improvement at least.

Dave

Go Back to forum