• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Lord of the Rings Symphony

Share/Bookmark

Lord of the Rings Symphony

The Lord of the Rings Symphony had its North American premier in Atlanta this weekend, with the composer Howard Shore conducting the Atlanta Symphony Orchestra and Chorus. Over two hours, six movements (two from each film), it was every bit as awesome as you might imagine. The ASO chorus sang in Elvish, Orc, Anglo-Saxon and modern English.
    On two screens at the top they showed the original concept sketches for scenes and characters from the trilogy, some of which were stunningly beautiful. You could see the concept of Gollum evolve from something very evil and Orc-ish into the more sympathetic character in the films.
    There was theatrical lighting as well, ranging from a soft Irish green for the Hobbiton scenes to flames that engulfed the whole stage during Gandalf's fight with the Balrog at Khazad-dum.
    I'm practically sure there will be a Telarc/ASO disc of this soon, but if you have a chance to see it live or on video, hop on Shadowfax and get yourself over there! It's a night you won't forget.

Re: Lord of the Rings Symphony

Sweet! I have tickets to see the Hollywood Bowl performance later this summer. Now I'm even more excited!

Unhappy Re: Lord of the Rings Symphony

Don't you mean Dvorak's 9th Symphony by Howard Shore? He should be ashamed of himself for taking the 2nd mvt. theme almost note for note and calling it his. And then to accept an award for it! Bah! The old saying must be true - no honor among thieves.

I don't mean to come off like I'm trolling guys. I'm really not. I just get really angry when people like Shore, who should know better, do that kind of crap. Did he really think that nobody would notice?

-Chad

I've got my ticket for the Sydney Symphony (Shore conducting) in two weeks.

Im almost right in front of the cellist's and bass players, so I hope it doesnt sound too bass heavy.
    ---------------------------
    - SCA - Sound Studios -
    www.sca-soundstudios.com
    ---------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Cairns
    I've got my ticket for the Sydney Symphony (Shore conducting) in two weeks.
    Im almost right in front of the cellist's and bass players, so I hope it doesnt sound too bass heavy.
    How I envy you, getting to hear this in the Sydney Opera House! Getting rush tickets to the Boston Symphony would often land me in the front row, almost in the first cello's lap. It's a great place to be because you hear inner voices and bass that you wouldn't normally hear; it's a more complete experience.

Quote Originally Posted by CString
    Don't you mean Dvorak's 9th Symphony by Howard Shore? He should be ashamed of himself for taking the 2nd mvt. theme almost note for note and calling it his. And then to accept an award for it! Bah! The old saying must be true - no honor among thieves.
    -Chad
    Do you mean the "Shire" theme. I always thought it sounded a lot like the middle section of Jupiter from Holst's The Planets, though different enough to be legit.

I'd love to attend this (or better yet, play in it!) I keep trying to get our conductor to do more film music or even a theme concert featuring all film music.

"Don't you mean Dvorak's 9th Symphony by Howard Shore?"
    I've also noticed one of Howard Shore's famous Lord of the Rings themes sounds identical to a theme near the end of the first movement of Jean Sibelius's Symphony No 3. When I noticed how similar the two were, it made me pause and laugh.

But I guess it was Igor Stravinsky that said "Good composers borrow, great composers steal."

DOH!!!!!!! The show is coming absolutley nowhere near where I live. DOH!!!!!

CString, I understand what you are talking about and I even agree to an extent. However, often times, when I'm writing, I'll find myself reinvinting a popular melody or idea. I think, and this is just my opinion, that it may just be a natural phenomena to reorganize a previous idea into a new coherent thought. I'll give you an example.

When I was working on my master's thesis, I kept hearing this melody in my head. I had no idea where it came from, it just popped in there while I was thinking about what I wanted to write. You know, while I was organizing my thoughts. The melody seemed to work very well within my composition. Later on, after I had finished it, turned it in, and recieved my diploma, I was relaxing while listening to "The Empire Strikes Back" score. I was just about to take a drink of my Coke when I choked. I heard what I thought was my melody from my thesis. I rewound the track listened again, and sure enough, there it was. Lo and behold, I had re-written Han and Leia's theme as my own. And I had done it completely unconcious of the fact that it was an existing melody.

So, the question is, did I steal the melody? I asked one of my composition instructors about this, and this is what she said, "Jon, I believe there are only so many melodies and ideas floating around out there. If a thought genuinely came to you through the natural flow of creation, then the thought or idea is genuienly yours."

I puzzeled about this for a while, until I realized that it began to make sense. Looking at it from that point of view, I could see how more than one person could have the same idea around the same time, without stealing it. I believe it's just a natural occurence that happens during the creative proccess. Unfortunately most people don't see it this way.

OK, I'm stepping down off my soap box now!

Jonny

Quote Originally Posted by SeanHannifin

But I guess it was Igor Stravinsky that said "Good composers borrow, great composers steal."
    Hehehe. I had forgotten about that quote until you just brought it up, Sean. It's true, too.

I swear guys, listen to the two back to back. The second movement is on Gary's demo page. It is way too close to just be called "inspiration."

I really hate this because I loved the films and I've been reading J.R.R. since 1981. The first time I heard the theme I thought, ok, Theme and Variation maybe. I expected to see Shore give the proper credit. I've yet to see it and now every time I watch the DVDs I grind my teeth when the "Shire Theme" comes on. In fairness, I haven't seen the title on the score. Maybe he gives credit there or on the CD of the soundtrack?

Quote Originally Posted by CString

I don't mean to come off like I'm trolling guys. I'm really not. I just get really angry when people like Shore, who should know better, do that kind of crap. Did he really think that nobody would notice?

-Chad
    Well then maybe we should bash John Williams for 'ripping-off' Prokofiev's 3rd Violin Concerto for E.T., or Jerry Goldsmith for 'stealing' Bartok's Music for Strings, Percussion and Celesta.

While we're at it, how about Brahms 'ripping off' Beethoven, or Strauss 'stealing' from Wagner. You know, THAT kind of 'crap'.

Get the picture?

Go Back to forum