• Register
  • Help

Topic: A little GPO Woodwind Quintet

A little GPO Woodwind Quintet

Here is a little piece I'm working on. Only the 1st and 3rd movements are complete. I wrote this in a neo-baroque (if there is such a term) style with harpsichord and solo woodwinds. It's all GPO and I hope you enjoy it.

The link will take you to a page on my website where the Woodwind quintet is listed as number 4. Sorry, but the free site doesn't allow direct links. If one link doesn't work, please try the other mirror page.

Re: A little GPO Woodwind Quintet

Very nice work indeed Louis...great composition.

IMO one of the most convincing GPO renderings I've heard so far.

Well Louis I think you already know how much I like this song. It reminded me of Pete Casti's Harpsichord trio (another favorite, what can I say I love the harpsi.) I've listened to it at least every day since you posted it on Mike's forum. Glad you got around to posting it here. I love this piece! You give me something to aim for.

Smile Re: A little GPO Woodwind Quintet

Thanks you guys, it's because of you, I stuck out my neck here, offering it to be chopped...

Louis, what a great piece. I particularly like the last movement. Your counterpoint is wonderful and you have done a swell job of capturing realism. It is quite fun to listen to. It is really a keeper.

Thanks, Karl

I tried to check out your Woodwind quintet, but I clicked on the link, then went to the angelfire web page and it says that your page no longer exists. Please, let me know if this is my problem or if Angelfire is just being screwy.

Unhappy Re: A little GPO Woodwind Quintet

Sorry about any problems with my page. I think the allowed bandwidth was very soon exceeded yesterday and today and that's the problem. I think has already reset itself again, so it should work now.

Angelfire's sites are terribly slow most of the time. And if bandwidth is exceeded it shuts down the page completely. And customer service is outrageous, I don't know about paying customers, but if you're unfortunate enough to have a free site with them, they don't even bother to send automated replies to your questions. Anyway, I can't really complain, because it is free...

Louis Dekker

Nope, still not woking. This time it said that aliens must have abducted your page. Don't worry, I understand completely about Angelfire my old hard rock band had an Angelfire account and it was just down right terrible. Oh well, I'll try again later.

For more information, check out www.jonathoncox.com/intro.html

"The trouble with music appreciation in general is that people are taught to have too much respect for music they should be taught to love it instead." - Igor Stravinsky

I love it! Albiet I payed more attention to the harpsichord I admit, being a keyboardist and all. It sounds very realistic. Congratulations and good work
    Nicole Davis

How cool! I very much like the counterpoint and the use of the harpsichord! Something about harpsichord music in a minor key sounds so sinister... I love it! Have you ever heard it performed live? I would suggest taking it to a school, a college or university, and see if you can get someone to perform it live for you. Hearing this makes me want to dust off my old wind quintet from years ago... I was fortunate enough to deal with the questions that the live performers raised about everything from the timing, and rhythms, and interpretation to the technical aspects of my publishing such as accidentals, articulations, etc. It taught me a ton about the piece, which I felt that I had finished. It is an invaluable experience if you can get it. Further, the advantage of chamber music is it is so much easier to get a small group together than try and wrangle an orchestra.

Go Back to forum