• Register
  • Help

Topic: When are we going to have virtual midi and audio cards?

Share/Bookmark

When are we going to have virtual midi and audio cards?

Hi there,
    This is just a thought? When are we going to be in a situation where by we can use standard networking cables for midi and audio transfer?
    I mean - wouldn\'t it be nice to have 2 or more pcs networked together and to have them linked to - say - Cubase running on one machine, with the midi connections between cubase and gigastudio on the 2nd/3rd etc. machine being \'virtual\' midi-wires and the audio coming back, also being \'virtual\' audio connections, straight into cubase?
    Be great. I can\'t think why this isn\'t already available? I mean, there are drivers to talk GS-><a soundcard> and GS-><a midi card>. Why can\'t someone create a \'virtual networked\' soundcard and midi card that appear to Gigastudio in the same way that a soundcard/midicard does, yet they allow clients to connect from all machines on the network???
    Seems sensible.
    Then we would have much better latency, not to mention not requiring any extra cards, thus saving dosh... if all you did was use cubase, virtual synths and gigastudio, then all you\'d need would be a single audiocard on one machine?
    Think I\'ll send this to the wish list!

Re: When are we going to have virtual midi and audio cards?

Steinberg has developed something calles \"System Link\" which goes into the direction you described. Check out www.steinberg.net for details. Of course it is \"their\" standard and can (for now) only be used with Steinberg\'s software. I\'m not sure if audio is transmitted as well, but it can at least be used to perfectly sync the steinberg-software on two different machines, thus making it possible two run cubase MIDI stuff on PC#1 and VSTis on PC#2.

YAMAHA had developed a thing called mLAN (m for music) for transmittin audio & MIDI via firewire. It has not been adopted by many companies so far (if at all), but AFAIK somehow wants to integrate it into MacOS X.

The trick with M-Lan is that it requires proprietary chips at either end.

Sounds great to me, but you don\'t really get around the problem of needing hardware added to your system by using M-Lan.

Maybe System Link is what Paynterr\'s talking about...if you are a Steinberg user

I wasn\'t actually talking about any product in particular, just wondering out loud why there wasn\'t a single product that sat on a PC or Mac and gave you this service? Surely something like Cubase \'looks for\' ASIO drivers in order to connect to soundcards, not really caring what is behind those ASIO drivers, just that the ASIO driver interface is what it plugs itself into? Surely a piece of software could make an ASIO driver visible on one PC, but rather than be a driver for a local piece of hardware (soundcard), it would instead transport the audio across whatever network is available, be that local, internet, or whatever (or just within the standalone pc) and make that audio available as ASIO inputs at the other end??? The other end, could even be the same PC. Obviously this \'piece of software\' would have a GUI to control the virtual environment (mixers, routing etc. etc.), a bit like luna/scope does. ASIO is just one example of driver format. GSIF would be another. There are many others that could be supported.
    The same would be true for midi. Luckily there is just a single standard for that.
    Then, any piece of audio software on your system could use this \'software network mixing\' as the bridge between the various pieces of software on one or more machines. e.g. Gigastudio could output to GSIF drivers that integrate to this software, the software taking the GS output and sending it across the network to Cubase which is sitting on another machine listening to a set of ASIO drivers that are outputting the GS sound?
    Unless I am missing something, this seems like a really obvious thing to have.
    Think Scope, but instead of that taking place on a card, takes place across a network, with a client running on each machine in that network (e.g. the software installed on each machine, so that it can talk to each other).
    I work in IT by the way, hence my inability to comprehend why no one has yet done this.
    Just thoughts really...

Go Back to forum