• Register
  • Help

Topic: Which Genelec?

Share/Bookmark

Which Genelec?

I'm in the market for a new pair of near-field monitors and I'm really liking all the press about Genelec's lineup (I was previously going to go with a pair of Mackie HR824's). Anyway there's quite a number of models to look at on their website and before I make the treck to my 'local' (50 miles away) music store to have a listen I was wondering what people here recommend as far as which model is the best bang for buck.

Thanks for any help.

Re: Which Genelec?

Quote Originally Posted by Musica142
    I'm in the market for a new pair of near-field monitors and I'm really liking all the press about Genelec's lineup (I was previously going to go with a pair of Mackie HR824's). Anyway there's quite a number of models to look at on their website and before I make the treck to my 'local' (50 miles away) music store to have a listen I was wondering what people here recommend as far as which model is the best bang for buck.

Thanks for any help.

I am personally waiting for the 8030A's. I have no idea how they sound yet, but they look totally awesome, especially given their flexibility with the IsoPods.

I've been listening to 1030 series monitors for a while now and they sound fantastic! I don't think you can go wrong with genelecs whatever you buy!

One point though, most of the nearfield genelecs are not full range... (only go down to 80Hz i think) so it's worth checking the datasheets, or looking to get a Sub at some point...

Thanks for the advice, guys. I'm thinking a pair of Genelec 2029A's with the 7050A subwoofer should do the trick. I particularly like the fact that I won't be needing to purchase an A/D Convertor as one's built right in.

The 1029s probably only go down to 80 or so, but I would expect the 1030s and 1031s to have usable response down to at least 55Hz. NS-10s aren't good for much below about 80, but they're not ported; the Genelecs are.

You might add the Blue Sky System One to your list of monitors to check out. I've been using them and like them a lot.

I have a pair of Genelec 1030A monitors at work, and am very happy with them. We have quite a few of them here.

-- Martin
    http://www.starbirthmusic.com

Smile Re: Which Genelec?

What I have heard is that the 1030 sound TOO good for mixing. That they're no flat enough and color mixes too much to do serious mixing.

I have never used them but this what was told to me as a way to advise against buying them (told to me by an engineering friend not a salesperson).

Adams nearfileds were recommended instead (S1A or S2a's.)

For whatever that's worth.

I have two setups with Air15's, and one with AIR20's. These are very good monitors for mixing. Less clouration than the Genelecs (which I also use).
    www.dynaudioacoustics.com/
    Best regards,
    Michiel Post

My system is Genelec 1029a's with matching sub [the older style = Large oblong box]

I confirm that they go down to 80hx

the Sub goes from about 40hz to 100hz.

The Speakers have choice to cut off at 100hz in event of being used with a sub.

I am 'proud owner' and pleased with them BUT I will refrain from fanboy statements given that I have not properly listened to any other of the monitors mentioned here.

As a general rather than product-specific, i have found that seperate Speaker/sub configuration has enabled me to place speakers where I need them without having to be compromising bass quality, which I have been able to tune by positioning the sub.

In a richer world, I would like a 'balanced' studio and indeed will be making moves toward careful acoustic treatment of the room I am working in. I do appreciate the choice for independent sub placement.

Go Back to forum