• Register
  • Help

Topic: Ralph Vaughan Williams/ensemble building

Share/Bookmark

Ralph Vaughan Williams/ensemble building

Well needless to say there are not enough solo instruments for this piece! Nonetheless I found it fun playinig around with the opening and using a TON of solo instruments + sections to form groups. This piece was meant to be played in , well ill pull out the quote!"written with the ascoutics of Gloucester Cathedral in mind, which was where it was first performed. In fact, three independent ensembles make up the orchestra: a large group, a smaller 9-player ensemble,and a string quartet". Hence the enourmous amount of reverb on the cathedral setting If anyone has ever had the pleasure of hearing this recorded the way it was meant, its beyond words.

Anyway to sum it up, If you have heard the piece recorded properly you will find an extreme range in dynamics, sometimes almost inaudible. I normalized it but I was half tempted not to and leave it as is. But what the heck This segmont I think shows that GPO sectional building is alot more intimite then the full sections. The ability to control each individual is fun! This is an excerpt. Midi data is more work then I ever thought lol.

http://home.cfl.rr.com/delly/Fantasi...s%20Tallis.mp3
    Nicole Davis

Re: Ralph Vaughan Williams/ensemble building

Wow, Nicole, what a gorgeous job! I hated for it to cut off in the middle like that, I wanted to hear more. The section which follows has some of the most beautiful string orchestra writing anywhere. Are you planning to continue? I hope you will!

(Years ago I had the pleasure of playing this piece. It turned out to be a somewhat terrifying experience. I was assistant principal viola, and our principal came down with the flu on the day of the concert. I had to sight-read the very exposed viola solo at the performance. It's not like it was a terribly difficult solo or anything, but it's still not an experience I'm anxious to repeat!)

Nicole,

IMHO, this is the best ensemble built strings made with GPO I've heard so far. The ensemble feeling you achieve is astounishing. Did you use some ensemble section to bold the sound, or is this completely made up from solo instruments?

I'm sorry, but I can't think of any constructive sugestion to improve the cue. The realisation is simply perfect. May be too clean to be real, you know, we need pages turning and cough noises .

Would you mind telling us your conclussions about ensemble making with GPO. There was a discussion about this topic in another thread, but I can't remember you in there.

Good job (once again), and thank you very much for sharing your music with us.
    Anton

Thumbs up Re: Ralph Vaughan Williams/ensemble building

Nicole, youÕve created another gem. The string realization is astonishing. Please finish this piece? ItÕs not fare to leave us hanging like this. You definitely have the touch when it comes to romantic writing. I would love to hear you play the piano.

Karl

See my fawning praise in the General Discussion topic. Bowing and scraping again. If it wasn't against my religion you'd be idolized.

[QUOTE=galvedro]Nicole,

IMHO, this is the best ensemble built strings made with GPO I've heard so far. The ensemble feeling you achieve is astounishing. Did you use some ensemble section to bold the sound, or is this completely made up from solo instruments?

Hmm somehow this got placed in two different forums. I post it on this one and come back a while later and its in general. This is hard to keep track of and I have no clue how this ended up over there.

Anyway yes I used second violins muted but very light in volume. Oh and ofcourse pizz parts and tremelo. The bass is ensemble.

My opinion? I think the ensemble building is neat. It takes alot more work I think though since you are keeping track of individuals instead of sections and I got lost many times in tracks because my organization was horrible when it came to loading. But to me it seems worth it even though it would take alot longer to construct a piece because you have more control over a single note. With the sections if you play a note at one constant volume it will sound the same each time, divided it does not imo.
    Nicole Davis

Quote Originally Posted by Karl Garrett
    Please finish this piece?
    This is a very long piece!
    Nicole Davis

We have time!

Nicole,

This is a fantastic feat. Congratulations. I too offer my hopes that you will finish this. (But no pressure!) :-) I can find no faults either. So congratualtions.

Jonny
    www.jonnylostinc.com

Go Back to forum