• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Topic: Ralph Vaughan Williams/ensemble building

Share/Bookmark

Ralph Vaughan Williams/ensemble building

Well needless to say there are not enough solo instruments for this piece! Nonetheless I found it fun playinig around with the opening and using a TON of solo instruments + sections to form groups. This piece was meant to be played in , well ill pull out the quote!"written with the ascoutics of Gloucester Cathedral in mind, which was where it was first performed. In fact, three independent ensembles make up the orchestra: a large group, a smaller 9-player ensemble,and a string quartet". Hence the enourmous amount of reverb on the cathedral setting If anyone has ever had the pleasure of hearing this recorded the way it was meant, its beyond words.

Anyway to sum it up, If you have heard the piece recorded properly you will find an extreme range in dynamics, sometimes almost inaudible. I normalized it but I was half tempted not to and leave it as is. But what the heck This segmont I think shows that GPO sectional building is alot more intimite then the full sections. The ability to control each individual is fun! This is an excerpt. Midi data is more work then I ever thought lol.

http://home.cfl.rr.com/delly/Fantasi...s%20Tallis.mp3
    Nicole Davis

Re: Ralph Vaughan Williams/ensemble building

Wow, Nicole, what a gorgeous job! I hated for it to cut off in the middle like that, I wanted to hear more. The section which follows has some of the most beautiful string orchestra writing anywhere. Are you planning to continue? I hope you will!

(Years ago I had the pleasure of playing this piece. It turned out to be a somewhat terrifying experience. I was assistant principal viola, and our principal came down with the flu on the day of the concert. I had to sight-read the very exposed viola solo at the performance. It's not like it was a terribly difficult solo or anything, but it's still not an experience I'm anxious to repeat!)

Amazing work, Nicole. I love VW's writing...so beautiful. Your performances sound excellent. I second danpowers; please continue!

(Wow, Nicole, what a gorgeous job! I hated for it to cut off in the middle like that, I wanted to hear more. The section which follows has some of the most beautiful string orchestra writing anywhere. Are you planning to continue? I hope you will!)

Thank you, im not sure if im continuing or not. This was an experiment using the single string players to create the main body. To continue I would have to free those up I guess and make them the pre ensembled patches to give room to the added two groups Its why I said there are not enough solo strings to finish this the way I built it!

(Years ago I had the pleasure of playing this piece. It turned out to be a somewhat terrifying experience. I was assistant principal viola, and our principal came down with the flu on the day of the concert. I had to sight-read the very exposed viola solo at the performance. It's not like it was a terribly difficult solo or anything, but it's still not an experience I'm anxious to repeat!)
    I bet, I find even his often simplicity in the soloist's melodies to be delicate and so full of feeling! Your lucky to have played this piece imo. I think Vaughan created some of the most beautiful music. Being a pianist there is not much call to play stuff like this. Best I can do is create a reduction, or realise it on GPO hehe. Guess ill have to find a workaround if I plan to continue and break down and use sections.
    Nicole Davis

Quote Originally Posted by jmc
    Amazing work, Nicole. I love VW's writing...so beautiful. Your performances sound excellent. I second danpowers; please continue!
    Thank you as well. Like I said above im not sure how I would go about it without being forced into using sections
    Nicole Davis

BTW HOW did this end up on general discussion!
    Nicole Davis

Oh my lord. Do you tutor? This is excellent. Simply beautiful. I wish I could get the small string ensembles to sound like that. I can't get the Stradi's or the Guarn... to blend like this. You have mastered GPO, congratulations. Bow, scrape.

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Burrell
    Oh my lord. Do you tutor? This is excellent. Simply beautiful. I wish I could get the small string ensembles to sound like that. I can't get the Stradi's or the Guarn... to blend like this. You have mastered GPO, congratulations. Bow, scrape.
    Well since I started this I think it was friday or thursday, It was inspired by the discussion topic of individual sections working as a whole. I was then curious to find out for myself how it sounded. Well during the initial first try I ran into problems, like losing track of midi channels and wondering what that wierd phase was(same instrument assigned to the same channel a few times lol). After I discovered how to fix that it was just alot of time playing with the same few bars over and over, listen to the recording, and repeat. If you notice just the high violins long sustained part there is wavering here and there in volume. Its the little things I think that need more attention like that and trying to find the right volume balance with each solo section (but never make it exactly the same as the next). Sorta follow the volume pattern with the draw thingy for each player but never make it exact. This is the coolest part I think because the same note has the possibility of not sounding the same twice like the section patches!
    Nicole Davis

Nicole,

This is one of my favorite pieces, and you are doing a wonderful job realizing it with GPO. If you can, it would be wonderful if you could finish it so Gary could post it on the GPO demo page.

Can you, please?!
    Richard Galbraith

Red face Re: Ralph Vaughan Williams/ensemble building

Fantastic rendition - and proof positive ONCE AGAIN the that ensemble builder concept works. I hope that you can one day have enough solo strings on hand to do a complete rendering (and enough time to draw in those controllers).
    Houston Haynes - Titan Line Music

Go Back to forum