• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: OK people...cheer me up...

Share/Bookmark

Unhappy OK people...cheer me up...

I came home form the most terrible rehearsal in thirteen years with this youth theatre. I spent days, nights, hours on end on putting it all together. I was sure I had everything set for today's rehearsal. Not!
    I was...brought to tears after everyone went home...literally. So, since I've grown so fond of this forum and the partnership that festers here, this evening I look to your jokes, witticisms, wise cracks and jokes to cheer me up. Needless to say, I am not feeling at all comfortable with putting this musical on now.
    Sorry for being so emotional and possibly sounding selfish.

One possitive note though! I did get the latency issue in Cubase SE worked out!
    Styxx

Re: OK people...cheer me up...

Festers????? Surely not, partnerships bloom in this place and friendships are started. Cheer up, bud, at least you are in the business. I wouldn't know success from a whole in the wall (and success is doing what you love and loving what you do and you're about as passionate about these musicals as a man can get.) I tell you one thing, it must have been those snot nosed kids... Couldn't have been anything my pal Sal did. You want I shoud send Brian2112 down there with a fish and 'whack' no more problem (you just had to be there.) They're messing with the GPO Boyz. Seriously, take pride in the fact that you've done your best. That's all you can ever do. The fate of the world can't rest on your shoulders and neither can the performances of a bunch of half-baked artisans.

Talking Re: OK people...cheer me up...

Maestro Styxx to orchestra at the start of the next rehearsal:

"Please get out your pencils; we have some marking to do:
    The first two bars are in 3/4, not 4/4 as written.Next, in the 6th bar, change it to 7/8 and this remains to the end. In bar 7 we raise the pitch half a step, in bar 13 lower the pitch one whole step and this will remain to the end, in bar 26 where it says strict tempo, cross that out and write in molto rubato, in bar 32 cross out the grand pause.And in bar 44, take out the legato and write in staccato.
    Thank you. Let's begin."

Soloists:
    "Excuse me, Maestro Styxx. What would you like us to change?"

Maestro Styxx:
    "Nothing at all, Now you can perform the piece as you did during the last rehearsal."

Styxx, I can't really offer words of laughter and cheer, as I have no sense of humor. But I completely understand how you feel. However my horrible theatre experience didn't occur at a rehearsal, it was at the performance. I wrote all this great music (I think it's great anyway), for a production of Twelfth Night in a different town, a 4-hour drive away from me. I was only able to see the show once at the closing night performance. It began well enough, the Overture I wrote in full Sonata form, was playing, and about halfway through...faded out. And sitting there in the audience, cue after cue, wasn't there. They just decided not to use any of the music I wrote. I wrote 17 cues for the show, and they used 3 or 4 (can't exactly remember--mostly blocked out).

This was just the first rehearsal with the music, right? So everything will pull together. I did five shows with a [shudder] Junior High Theatre group. Like herding cats. Hats off to you, you brave, brave soul.

P.S. LSOH was the one musical I got to do in High School. I was Mr. Mushnik. I got eaten. It totally rocked!

Quote Originally Posted by Styxx
    I came home form the most terrible rehearsal in thirteen years with this youth theatre. I spent days, nights, hours on end on putting it all together. I was sure I had everything set for today's rehearsal. Not!
    I was...brought to tears after everyone went home...literally. So, since I've grown so fond of this forum and the partnership that festers here, this evening I look to your jokes, witticisms, wise cracks and jokes to cheer me up. Needless to say, I am not feeling at all comfortable with putting this musical on now.
    Sorry for being so emotional and possibly sounding selfish.

One possitive note though! I did get the latency issue in Cubase SE worked out!
    Eeep, I may have replied to your post below to soon Im sorry things went bad. Its the bad things we tend to concentrate on in life unfortunately. Don't let it get you down, always remember life is just one day at a time. We have no control over this, so you may as well just live in the present and not worry to much about what "happened"

Sorry I have no jokes to tell. My main source lately has been you
    Nicole Davis

Dear Styxx,

I am new to this board, but I have been made to feel very at home here. You are very well thought of here (and elsewhere, I’m sure).

I see that your location is in NY. Being a Texan, I am not quite good at this, but I spent enough time in NY and Boston to generally get the hang of Northeastern dry humor. If your anything like me (which I hope for your sake, you are not), I find that what cheers me up most is a good Northeastern thrashing. So bear with me here, as I make a feeble attempt at this:

Styxx, it’s all over. Your world has crumbled, and is lying on the floor. There is no hope left. All is lost. It is time to throw up your hands and give up the ghost. That’s too bad pal. I’m sorry you had a bad day. Mine was good. I had an epiphany involving wet fish, which I will be more than happy to beat you with, as stated above.

There. Feel better? I’m kidding of course. Keep it in perspective. You are rich with friends, admirers and colleagues.

And, I might point out that some of the best performances I have been involved with had some of the worst rehearsals.

Cheer up or you’ll be saying to yourself “Who the heck is this guy at my door with a wet fish and a funny accent?!!”

Regards,

Brian2112
    "So what if some parts of life are a crap shoot? Get out there and shoot the crap." -- Neil Peart
    Hint:1.6180339887498948482 Φ

Mackerel, Star, or Tuna? Or just anything that makes a good slapping sound? I would think a salmon or flounder would be quite much, and it's more of a smash or bang-crunch. And something like an octopus would probably not be as effective, as it is more of a splat-thwack. And a shark is just silly, as that is a roar-scream-bash followed by a wet "pleh." Sardines are sort of a mit-pwang, and a trout is... well a trout may be just right!

Hmmm...okay I've obviously given this an embarrassing amount of thought.

Hi Styxx

I'm afraid you know them all. I try anyhow:

Fritz Kriesler and Rachmaninov had a recital in Carnegie Hall once. In the middle of the music, Kriesler got lost and turned around to ask Rachmaninov, "Where are we?"
    Rachmaninov said, "Carnegie Hall, sir!"
    ---------
    While at a concert being performed by a very bad orchestra, George Bernard Shaw was asked what he'd like them to play next. "Dominoes," he replied.
    ----------
    Efficiency
    To: Chairman, The London Symphony Orchestra
    Re: Schubert's Symphony No. 8 in B minor.

After attending a rehearsal of this work we make the following observations and recommendations:

1. We note that the twelve first violins were playing identical notes, as were the second violins. Three violins in each section, suitably amplified, would seem to us to be adequate.

2. Much unnecessary labour is involved in the number of demisemiquavers in this work; we suggest that many of these could be rounded up to the nearest semiquaver thus saving practice time for the individual player and rehearsal time for the entire ensemble. The simplification would also permit more use of trainee and less-skilled players with only marginal loss of precision.

3. We could find no productivity value in string passages being repeated by the horns; all tutti repeats could also be eliminated without any reduction of efficiency.

4. In so labour-intensive an undertaking as a symphony, we regard the long oboe tacet passages to be extremely wasteful. What notes this instrument is called upon to play could, subject to a satisfactory demarcation conference with the Musician's Union, be shared out equitably amongst the other instruments.

Conclusion: if the above recommendations are implemented the piece under condsideration could be played through in less than half an hour with concomitant savings in overtime, lighting and heating, wear and tear on the instruments and hall rental fees. Also, had the composer been aware of modern cost-effective procedures he might well have finished this work.
    ------------------
    Variations to a very known theme:
    Q: How many Microsoft engineers are needed to change a light bulb?
    A: None. Bill just declared darkness as the new standard.

Q: How many musicians does it take to change a light bulb?
    A: Twenty. 1 to do it and the other 19 to stand around and say, "I can do that!"

Q: How many bluegrass musicians does it take to screw in a light bulb?
    A: Two. One to screw it in, and one to complain that it's electrified.

Q: How many musicians does it take to change a light bulb?
    A: Twenty. 1 to hold the bulb, 2 to turn the ladder, and 17 to be on the guest list.

Q: How many folk musicians does it take to change a light bulb?
    A: Seven; one to change and the other six to sing about how good the old one was.

Q: How many soul fans does it take to change a light bulb?
    A:Six - one to change it and five to say "It's not as good as the original, is it"

Q. How many soundmen does it take to change a light bulb?
    A. One, One-two. One. One. One. One-two-three. One. One.

same tune, other motiv:
    Q: Why don't they know where Mozart is buried?
    A: Because he's Haydn!

Q: What's musical and handy in a supermarket?
    A: A Chopin Liszt.

Q: What do you get if Bach dies and is reincarnated as twins?
    A: A pair of Re-bachs.

Q: What do you call a male quartet?
    A: Three men and a tenor.

Q. What’s the difference between an oboe and an onion?
    A. Nobody cries when you chop up an oboe.

Q. What’s the difference between a bassoon and a trampoline?
    A. You take off your shoes when you jump on a trampoline.

Q. What's a burning clarinet good for?
    A. Setting fire to a drum kit.

Q:What is perfect pitch?
    A:Throwing a banjo in the dust bin and hitting an accordion.

Take care
    fmfgs

What a bunch of Carps!
    Thanks all of you. I have this problem with needing everything to go right every moment of my life. Not practical for sure or sensible in the least but that's me. Anything that has my name on it I worry about. Even my shoes and glasses. (what the heck was that supposed to mean)? Anyway, you all cheered me up and the slap in the face with the ton of sea creatures woke me up. Now, that I smell like fisherman's wharf my wife won't go near me, thanks!
    I have the score open tonight. I am not going to let this day ruin my last musical~!

Sometimes ya just need your friends to lean on...
    Styxx

Quote Originally Posted by Styxx
    Anything that has my name on it I worry about.
    ..Which is why I am thinking of legally changing mine to J.S. Bach

"So what if some parts of life are a crap shoot? Get out there and shoot the crap." -- Neil Peart
    Hint:1.6180339887498948482 Φ

Go Back to forum