• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: How about one more for strings?

Share/Bookmark

How about one more for strings?

Hello everybody,
    It's not a good time to post - so many fantastic pieces were presented this week. Here is my first attempt with GPO. Will be glad to hear any oppinions.
    String Quartet. Finale.
    Thank you for listening.
    Last edited by sfiks; 02-05-2006 at 03:07 PM. Reason: Added a new link
    sfiks

Re: How about one more for strings?

Nice piece. The only thing constructive thing I can say is that there isn't enough reverb on the piece. Also, the piece sounds static (don't feel bad, I've gotten this critisism as well.) Are you writing this in a notation program? I'm using the included Overture right now and it's a real pain getting the dynamics in there. What I've done is dump it to midi and draw in the mod wheel dynamics in the included Cubase. Time consuming, you say? You have no idea. I like the tone and feel of it though. Nice signature by the way.

Quote Originally Posted by sfiks
    Hello everybody,
    It's not a good time to post - so many fantastic pieces were presented this week. Here is my first attempt with GPO. Will be glad to hear any oppinions. Look at the 3rd piece on my page
    String Quartet Finale

Thank you for listening.
    This is interesting, its got a Baroque feel(least in certain sections) but is displaced with meter choice! Thank you for sharing this I enjoyed it. What I could suggest is trying to shift timings around or something so it doesnt have the too perfect playing sound

BTW how did you end up with my old quote lol??? its supposed to read "Music is a hard genre to judge. Its like taking two different people and asking which is more beautiful and finely crafted the ocean or the mountains"
    Nicole Davis

sfiks,

It's always a good time to post and always nice to hear a string quartet.
    What delightful music! Did you write this? I like the instrument balance, the intimacy and the interweaving lines.

I'm not sure about whether more reverb is needed. For a piece like this, sometimes an intimate sound is appropriate. If you wouldn't mind, I could try applying an impulse to the piece for a comparison. Also, could you tell us the solo string instrumentaion you used?

Would you mind if this finds its way on the the GPO site?

Thanks for posting this.

Gary Garritan

Joseph, thank you for listening and comments!
    Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Burrell
    there isn't enough reverb on the piece.
    Maybe you're right. I didn't want it to sound like from a big stage, I wanted performers to be close to the audience. It's always a question for me - how much?
    Also, the piece sounds static
    Is it static to you in harmony, tempo, metre, loudness, or emotionally?
    Are you writing this in a notation program?
    No, I'm using Sonar 3. Its notation feature is a bit clumsy, but I got used to it.
    Thanks again for paying attention to my work. Hope to hear from you.
    sfiks

It doesn't need more reverb in my opinion. It could definitely use some rubato throughout, and probably a lot more help from the old mod wheel. It's getting there, though!
    - Jamie Kowalski

All Hands Music - Kowalski on the web
    The Ear Is Always Correct - Writings on composition

Sfiks, This is delightful. I love the shifting meter. You have a nice grasp of good compositional style. I've found it very hard to be very convincing with solo strings, but parts of this are quite realistic. Swell performance.

Thumbs up Re: How about one more for strings?

I think that if you're looking to put these notes on the printed page and get live players to breathe life into it - you're well on your way. The bouncy vertical structure in the first part of the finale can work very well in the context of a larger work, and the break away from that is a nice contrast - especially the cascade that rolls through all of the instruments.

If you're looking to fool somone with this performance, then that's not going to happen without a lot more TLC to the MIDI data, including bowing and legato controllers, as well as a lot of tweaking of timbre and expression. But that's really up to you. I can hear what you're trying to do compositionally, and in the right context I think it should come off very well. It's a really nice piece and should be received well when/if played live by a group of talented players.
    Houston Haynes - Titan Line Music

Quote Originally Posted by Nicole
    What I could suggest is trying to shift timings around or something so it doesnt have the too perfect playing sound
    I have no excuse for my bad habit (copy&paste) I did work on that in slow tempo parts of the piece though.
    BTW how did you end up with my old quote lol???
    I liked it very much, and rephrased it emphasizing people not nature. It has its meaning, doesn't it?
    Thanks for listening!
    sfiks

Quote Originally Posted by sfiks
    I have no excuse for my bad habit (copy&paste) I did work on that in slow tempo parts of the piece though.

I liked it very much, and rephrased it emphasizing people not nature. It has its meaning, doesn't it?
    Thanks for listening!
    Oh I see I didnt look at it very hard and just thought about the left out part, silly me. It makes sense now. Im glad you liked the saying.
    Nicole Davis

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast