• Register
  • Help

Topic: Thinning Controller Data

Share/Bookmark

Thinning Controller Data

If I play with one hand on the mod wheel, I generate HUGE amounts of controller data, and with several tracks going, Logic's engine starts "ticking" at me. I already have the option turned on to "thin" controller data on record.

Do you not use the mod wheel throughout? Do you manually thin the data?

This seems to be a necessary thing for expressive playing.

Thanks for any tips,

Nathanael

Re: Thinning Controller Data

Quote Originally Posted by Nathanael Iversen
    If I play with one hand on the mod wheel, I generate HUGE amounts of controller data, and with several tracks going, Logic's engine starts "ticking" at me. I already have the option turned on to "thin" controller data on record.

Do you not use the mod wheel throughout? Do you manually thin the data?

This seems to be a necessary thing for expressive playing.

Thanks for any tips,

Nathanael
    Nathanael, Tell us a little more. What computer, what speed processor, how much ram, etc. IÕll bet youÕre using Logic on a Mac, but let us know maybe we can help a little. At this point in time, We Mac users are a little cursed with these problems, but there might be a few things that can help you a little. Please give us more details.

Karl

Mmmmmm, I have near 50 tracks full of controller data, and everything's running fine here. What I do when working on midi domain is to keep audio plugins like EQ, reverb, etc... to the minimum, they eat a lot of horse power.

I have a modest Athlon 2400+ and 1GB of DDR333 Ram, and I use Cubase SX. I mean no dual nor nothing specially powerfull.

Anton

Quote Originally Posted by Karl Garrett
    Nathanael, Tell us a little more. What computer, what speed processor, how much ram, etc. IÕll bet youÕre using Logic on a Mac, but let us know maybe we can help a little. At this point in time, We Mac users are a little cursed with these problems, but there might be a few things that can help you a little. Please give us more details.

Karl
    Sorry, I've been away a few days. I have a Ti800 Powerbook, 512K RAM, OSX 10.3.4, and Logic 6 Pro.

What is wierd to me is that even freezing the track doesn't help... I thought that was supposed to write all the stuff to an audio file - including control data.

Thanks for any clarity you can provide. It seems that you can turn controller data into automation - does that help?

I would suggest going into the event list and viewing only the controller data itself. You can then either perform a "transform" function on the data, or do as I do - delete it all and re-write it using track automation!

Logic Pro has a very good track freeze, you can freeze the tracks that you are done working on to free up a "lot" of CPU power.
    Aaron Clark, C/C++, J2EE, Flash, Perl and PHP programming.
    Logic Pro 7.0.1, G5 1800x2, 3 Gig ram, GPO and GOS lite.
    My site: http://www.clarkaudio.com
    Where I work now: http://www.blinex.com/

Go Back to forum